General Receiver and Satellite

Ken Jackson

:excitement:
I am rebuilding my 450. I am waiting on a new head assembly and I ordered all new servos. I will be using my AR6210 DSMx receiver. It has a port for a remote satellite but I used that satellite on my 3GX as the second satellite. Since this a smaller helicopter do I have to use a remote satellite? I would think I could get by with just the AR6210 but thought I would ask the experts here.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Ken

Lee

The single RX should be fine. Your gonna be out of sight before you lose radio signal. Just try to make sure the antennas are sticking out so there is little shadowing of the frame if you are orientated to oneside. So don't stick it to the side, try to have it sticking out the back of the heli.

Ken Jackson

Thanks Lee, I am mounting it on the bottom plate about in the middle. The two antenna leads will stick out of each side and be near the bottom of the heli. Should be good there. I had to put my Gyro where I normally put my receiver.

IMG_1058.jpg

Ken:excitement:

IMG_1058.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Only issue I can foresee is when you are going straight side in. If you think of the antenna as putting out a doughnut shaped signal, there is a huge hole coming straight off the antenna. If you just so happen to get in this, it's known as a brown out.

But as stated, with something this small, you should be just fine. 500 or bigger and I would suggest the satellite just for redundancy. But as stated, you will be limited on range, but you will lose LOS before you lose signal IMO.

Ken Jackson

Getting a little concerned. Tony mentioned brown out. I am still waiting on the new head but went ahead and set up the servo's and tail. Got everything level, just need the new head. My concern; while sitting on the bench when I'm just moving both sticks around somewhat rapidly (not like you would fly) but just watching the swash plate, it is browning out??? All 4 servos are brand new DS415M and a DS425M. The ESC is cheap but is not hooked to the motor yet and I'm browning out?? The receiver is the AR6210 that came off my 500 when I upgraded to the 3GX.

Any suggestions as to brown out on the bench??
:hopelessness:

Ken Jackson

Just made this video because I actually didn't remember. Almost seems like one servo is causing it? What do you think??
Ken

[video=youtube_share;LRS-eO4WjcA]http://youtu.be/LRS-eO4WjcA[/video]

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
start disconnecting servos one by one and check and see what happens. It looks like a Brown out, but the LED doest start flashing still .. which is interesting to me.

is your battery fully charged.. try a fully charged battery first..

Seems like an over draw is trigerring this.. but may be something else let us know wha you find out. what TX?

Ken Jackson

Oh yeah sorry Gaba. DX8. I just read your post about the DX6i you had trouble with. Just sold my DX6i so I'm good there.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Cool.. have you checked by removing servos one by one ? or checking if the battery had enough charge in it?

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, if you have a brown out, or lose signal between the Tx and Rx, your Rx and/or Satellites will flash slowly to let you know.

Ken Jackson

When I first brought up my brown out problem I mentioned a cheap ESC, well that was the problem. That also explains why the receiver never flashed because it never lost site of the transmitter.
:hopelessness:
IMG_6524.jpg

So my 450 is on hold until I buy a good ESC.

Anyone have a used 40 or 50a ESC with 5A BEC they aren't using?

Ken

:excitement:

- - - Updated - - -

3 cell

IMG_6524.jpg

wolfman76

hey ken the rx should be fine without a sat. .. Eric at G&G sold me a park flyer spektrum rx for my exi 450 when i got it almost 2 years ago said it would be just fine he said anything bigger then a 450 and you would need a rx with sat..as far as the brown out not sure on that have not had that issue as of yet but like gaba said maybe batt is to low and you getting to much draw with all the servos going at same time.. like you i am still learning alot of this stuff... good luck and keep us updated on the helis status... being as you got a 450 is it all align i have all exceed rc esc and motor in mine and have never had any issues mine is the proton valcano serie 30amp esc from exceed i bought it for like 14- 18 bucks from either hobbypartz.com or xheli.com i have like 5 of them..

Last edited:
Top Bottom