RCH trainer

Jebus

Hi! Thanks for providing simple build plans and a great series of instructional videos. I look forward to completing this build.

Where is a good/cheap place to find the electronics needed to complete this build?

I would like to put landing gear/floats on this plane and would like some insight on how to make this happen

This will be my second scratch build. My first build was a 64mm edf delta wing using electronics out of a jet I had purchased and crashed due to interference between the cheap transmitter and receiver.

Tony

Staff member
Hey Jebus, welcome to RCH! The RCH Trainer is a great plane, and the V3 is a very stable version compared to V1. I still need to do the videos on the 3 though, just trying to find the time.

If you are going to put floats on this plane, make sure to cover all of it in packing tape and seal it up as much as you can. Water and foamboard do not go well together at all.

As for parts, I ordered all of mine at hobbypartz.com, but it seems everything is out of stock on that site. If you give me some time, I will try to get some links on hobbyking.com for you. But, you are looking for a 60-70 gram motor pulling 350 watts and between 1000-1300kv spinning a 10x6 prop. Standard blue cheap 9g servos, an ESC to match the motor, a 2200mah 3s lipo, 35+c rating and some .047" piano wire for your control rods. I'm sure you can find something on there and post the link here for us to verify faster than I can do the search. They are trying to kill me at work lol.

Jebus

Thanks Tony for all your hard work.

I watched all the RCH trainer videos yesterday and printed the build plans today. I still need to acquire all the electronics needed to complete this build. I think I'm gonna checkout my local hobby store and see what motors and esc's they have or can order

What are some good techniques for equipping landing gear onto this trainer? Any info would be appreciated

Tony

Staff member
On the plans, there are marks just in front of the CoG on the bottom of the fuse where you can mount landing gear. I suggest putting some 1/8" or 1/4" play inside and outside so that it has a more stable surface to mount to. But, just get some landing gear wire, wheels and such and you are good to go. As for a tail wheel, you can just put a small piece of carbon fiber as a skid in the back. It's not a wheel, but if my 40" balsa planes can handle it, I'm sure this foamy can handle it lol.

Let me know if you need any help.

Jebus

I appreciate all your help. Should I get a bigger motor/esc to compensate for the added weight of floats? Or do you think the motor/esc that you recommended would be sufficient?

Jebus

What's the approx weight of this airplane covering the exposed foam with packing tape. What is the overall lenghth and wingspan of this plan as well. Having trouble finding a motor/esc and need to know how much this plane will weigh.

Thanks for your help.

Tony

Staff member
I'm hoping that someone can weigh theirs. I don't have one built right now so I have no idea what the plane weighs.

Top Bottom