RCH Trainer V3 Now Available!

Tony

Staff member
That's right, I have yet again been working on the Rc-Help Trainer and it's ready for download. I have NOT flown this plane yet as I just now completed the plans. There is still work to do, but it should be pretty simple and I need to do some testing to know what changes need to be made.

Here is a list of what has changed on the trainer plans.

Fuse is now 5" shorter in teh rear, and 1" shorter in the front. The nose was extended to combat the tail heavy issue, and since I shortened the tail, I saw no reason to keep the long nose.

The elevator is now mounted IN the back of the fuselage and not on top of it. This allows for a much stronger elevator once mounted. There is also 2º of built in up elevator if cut exactly to the plans. This will improve slow flight as well as slow down landing speeds. I'm just testing this, and it may bite me, but should work fine.

There is now a new battery mount that will be built in to the nose of the plane. It will hold your battery securely (if shimmed to your battery) and will help keep the battery from being forced into the motor bolts in a nose first crash (lawn dart). Again, this should work fine, just needs testing.

The biggest change is all 4 of the fuse pieces are now one piece that you will cut 45º angles into and fold. Makes the fuse line up so much easier. I also got rid of the curved bottom of the old plane and it's now straight. It doesn't look as good, but is MUCH easier to build.

The wing is the same as the v2, but with the shorter fuse, I may shorten the wing to 40" from the 47" it's at now. I will be testing multiple wings on this plane and posting videos to show the advantages/disadvantages of each one.

I am currently working on an internal servo mounting system for the tail. Once I figure out the details, i will post an update to the plans.

I am also working on finalizing the bolt-on wing but need some supplies before I can post what I have done. Don't want anyone's wing flying off and turning their plane into a dart. More on this later.

So as you can see, I have been doing a LOT of changing to the plane. Nothing is the same as it was on the Original, everything has been changed. If you see anything that you think could be improved, post them up. If you build this plane, post up the results with your suggestions in the RCH Trainer thread linked below.

Also below is the link to download the plans directly. Let me know what you think.

Rc-Help Trainer Testing Thread

Rc-Help Trainer V3

EyeStation

Don't you ever sleep? Hey there Tony, while looking at the Y3 plans I noticed a simple typo in the battery tray description. For some reason, (lack of sleep maybe), you tell us his will be mounted in the nose of the Heli.
Keep up the great work my friend. I'm gonna print up V3 at work today and get started.

- - - Updated - - -

Typos are running rampant this morning. I meant V3 and not Y3 plans.

Tony

Staff member
I'm not seeing the typo. I did fine another one though. Let me know what you think about them. I have updated the plans (yup, I don't sleep lmao) to show flaps as well as ailerons. Might have to clear your cache to see it. If you see "Aileron" then "Flap", that is the new plans. If it's just one big aileron, then it's the old plans. download and go to page 15 to see if you see the split.

Tony

Staff member
Added a preliminary CoG mark to the wing. Right now, it's located 2.5" behind the leading edge of the wing. I will test this further later on.

EyeStation

I'm not seeing the typo
Check the top of page 5 for this line,
"This is the new battery tray. You will crease this and insert it into the nose of the helicopter and secure it with
hot glue when you are building the fuselage"

Plans look great sir.

Tony

Staff member
Holy crap, how did I miss that lmao. I was looking for something that was misspelled or something lol. I have no idea why I put "helicopter" in there. Yup, lack of sleep. I'm fixing to print this out and try to get the build started this morning. I want to try this plane out lol. Need some control wire though. I will fix that issue right away.

Tony

Staff member
Typo fixed and uploaded. Thanks for the heads up. Let us know when you get it built and into the air!

Tony

Staff member
Found a design flaw, but it can be worked around. I was worried about it, but wanted to wait until I had it built. The ESC has to sit beside the battery in the battery tray. Not a big deal if nothing gets hot, but if it does, it could take both of them with it. You could always mount it on the outside, but that defeats the purpose of a boxed fuse.

I will say this, with that battery tray, the fuse is twice as strong as the older version. This thing is beefy.

Tony

Staff member
Version 3.1 is now available. I have added a servo mount as well as where to put them in the fuselage. I also corrected the size of the battery mount to hold a 2200 3s with the wires facing down. This will allow more room for ESC mounting. You may need to clear your cache to see the new plans, but on page 2, you will see V3.1 and not just V3. Let me know what you think.

EyeStation

Version 3.1 is now available. I have added a servo mount as well as where to put them in the fuselage. I also corrected the size of the battery mount to hold a 2200 3s with the wires facing down. This will allow more room for ESC mounting. You may need to clear your cache to see the new plans, but on page 2, you will see V3.1 and not just V3. Let me know what you think.
Well cool on 2 parts. I did not like the way I pieced together V3.0 pattern. And I had the time to pick up an X-Acto Board cutter with the 45/90 degree cutting angle. So tomorrow, another DL-Print-Cut-n-Tape the new V3.1 pattern.
Probably get to cutting foam on Wednesday eve.
Curious to see where your ESC will wind up.

- - - Updated - - -

Here isa pic of the servo mount.

View attachment 7596

Looks like the screw on wing support too, eh?

Tony

Staff member
Yup, on the right side of the picture, you can see the balsa that I'm testing for a wing mount. Not sure if I'm going to do it that way though. The ESC, as you can see in teh picture, is on the left side of the fuse in the battery tray. I think it will need to be moved and given air flow since it's only 30a. Might just do some testing on another mount before I even put this in the air. I can cut out a fuse in a single sheet, so it's not much lost in testing and building. However, I only have 1 sheet of white left lmao.

Slobberdog

Tony, could this trainer be scaled down, and run on 2s 450 packs like I run on my 130X,

hey if it could you could call it the RC-Help mini trainer

Just an idea cos I like the trainer, but would like something a bit more compact.

Tony

Staff member
I guess it could. 60% would be approximately 30" wing. Your going to have a hard time getting electronics to fit in the fuse though. Also, if you scale it down, take the center airfoil out of the wing and just run a kfm2 wing. the 3 I think will be too heavy.

Top Bottom