General RCH trainer V 1,2 or 3

Dizzle000

hey guys, so im mainly into helis but iv been seeing alot on these bad ass little trainer planes. i got an extra reciever from my dx8, and some servos so i thought what the hell imma make my first trainer plane. watched all of tonys vids, which by the way are a life saver keep up the good work man. so my question is whats the difference between the 3 versions? i tink i downloaded version 2. will the build vid be pretty straight across for all 3 planes?
cheers kyle

Derek

Well, version 1 was a basic trainer done with the KFM2 airfoil, with the foamboard layered on top of each other. Version 2, I think is the version that has a wrap-around, and simpler, KFM2 airfoil. Very easy to do. I think version 3 is the version that Tony has shortened the fuselage a bit in order to remedy the tail heavy issue and some other improvements. My RCH Trainer is the v2 and I love the new wing improvement but the fuselage is the original length and it is tail heavy. I had to add some weight to the nose, along with the motor and 2200mAh 3S lipo. It was a bit of a hassle at first but it does fly well now.

I'm hoping to get the funds together so that I can build the v3 and give my thoughts.

EyeStation

Yes the build is pretty much the same on all three. I believe V1 and V2 were minor changes and V3 has a shorter fuse to help with the tail heavy aspect of V1-V2.
I built the V2 and am loving it. Try to mount the tail servo's inside if you want a really clean look.

Tony

Staff member
I was worried that this was going go happen by putting all 3 of the versions up. V1 is the very first one that we started out with. It's a great plane, and I still have the one in the videos, just don't fly it. V2 has a new wing and tail feathers for a more simple build. V3 has a new fuse that is shorter and easier to build and cut out and also combats the tail heavy issue that plagued V1 and V2. Hope this helps.

I have not flown V3 yet, only designed it. Still looking for some feedback. Might just pull it off the forum all together until I get it worked out.

Derek

I thought I remembered seeing this thread some where!

Unfortunately, I crashed my pretty "Decathlon" RCH Trainer today, beyond repair. Well, I was coming out of loop and the wing ripped, in the center, and then folded. Then the plane came spinning down and smacked the hard dirt. I'm gonna have to build a new one. It looks like I'll be trying the RCH Trainer v3. Version 2 served me very well and I loved flying it.

Tony

Staff member
I'm really thinking of redoing the whole plane and using polyhedral instead of dihedral to keep this issue from happening. Not as many people can see the weak spots in the wing like I can, and most will never know how to reinforce them.

V3 will do great. Can't wait for your feedback on that one!

Derek

No problem, Tony! I have to build another EA Delta Wing, too. I was doing a high speed pass, just like I normally do, and just pulled up too late. SMACK!! That wing hit the ground so hard and cart-wheeled 4 times, then slid on the street for 15 feet or so. It was impressive!!! Even more impressive, the electronics are all ok. I'm building a new one right now and I'll start the build of the RCH Trainer v3 next week. I have to work Friday-Sunday. I'm hoping to get the RCH Trainer v3 built and setup on Monday and Tuesday so that I can maiden it over the weekend. Depending on how much time I spend on it on Monday, I might be able to maiden it on Tuesday. We'll just have to wait and see. I'm going to add some carbon fiber to the wing.

Tony

Staff member
You can add carbon fiber to the wing, that will help a lot if you are flying fast and bank hard. As stated, let me know what you think of the build.

Derek

No problem, Tony! By now, I'm sure, you know that I'll post video and my thoughts. I hope that the changes in v3 solve the tail heaviness. Remember, I added about 1.5oz of weight to the nose of my RCH Trainer v2 to get it to fly the way it did. If we can get past the tail heaviness, I'll be super stoked!!!

EyeStation

Last weekend's flight of my V2 never left my hand. The 11.5 prop I pulled for the Edge 540 build tested the rigidity of my clam shell heat sink motor mount for my inrunner. I must have forgotten that this was a 2kV motor installed in the RCH-T V2. Had the plane ready, above my head in my left hand, throttling up with my right. Not trusting the headwind, I kicked up the launch throttle a notch and heard a "POP". As I notice there is no more pull in my left hand, my brother shouts "Are you alright? Holy S**T!!". I look over at my plane and it is propless. "Wow" I thought and then i turned the nose towards me and noticed the entire motor was missing. The pressure of the clam shell heat sink alone was not enough to contain the overwhelming power of the 11.5 on that stupid 2Kv motor. I wont have to worry about that problem any more. The force of the motor pulling through the heatsink severed the wires at the can. The duration of time for the cutting of motor wires with aluminum heatsink was not long enough to cause damage to the ESC.
In hindsight, with that thing near my head like that with this failure, I am physically lucky nothing else happened. I can understand my brothers reaction much clearer. Only lost an overpowered motor.
And on that same day was the Edge 540 flight. I think I have developed Heli-Thumb in my left hand. I did not seem to throttle down below mid stick when heading earthward.
Looking forward to seeing V3 Derek!

Tony

Staff member
Derek, There are quite a few changes in V3 to help the tail heaviness. The tail is now 3" shorter and the nose is 1" shorter. I have added a servo tray to the inside of the fuse, but don't think it is on the plans.

YOu may want to skip the battery mount at first until you get a feel for it, then put it in when you know where it needs to be. I'm still trying to work out the particulars on this bird. Like the Edge, I need to get this one build and in the air. There are a lot of unknowns on the V3, but in theory it should work better.

Maybe I should skip the flying field this weekend and get some planes built lol.

Derek

Hey Tony...I'm really excited about trying v3. My last RCH Trainer was the v2 and despite the mass amount of weight in the nose...I loved that plane. I had well over 50 flights on that plane. That's a milestone for me, lol. The RCH Trainer v3 will be an adventure of it's own and I can't wait. I just need to work out a color scheme for it. I really liked the Decathlon scheme, so I might do that one again, lol.

I downloaded and printed the plans for v3 last night. I laid the papers out on the floor and I was looking them over. This looks very cool! I'm looking forward to building it and sharing my input.

Tony

Staff member
Let me know what you think about the fuse build. Easier, harder, or whatever compared to V1/V2.

Derek

No problem, Tony! I'll let ya know! Unfortunately, we'll have to wait until next week. This is my 3 day work weekend, so I won't even be able to get to it until Monday....but I'm also hoping to spend some time on my FB Albatross. I really really want to maiden that plane next weekend....but I'll let ya know what I think about the RCH Trainer v3, for sure.

Tony

Staff member
only after you lawn dart them then hit the throttle talking to an annoying neighbor lmao.

sarconastic

I have built 2 of the V3 planes and the build went very smooth. the only things I did different was on my second plane, on the bottom section of the fuselage where it angles up towards the tail, I cut a narrow v notch on the inside at the point where the fuselage tapers down. similar to how you notch for the windshield, only a smaller notch.I placed hot glue in the notch and then folded the tail section down to glue in place. This made it easier to hold while gluing the sides.

I also used some wooden spars through the fuselage to mount the tail servos instead of the foamboard. This way I could screw them in and it is very clean. I just cut them the same size as the slots on the plans and the width of the fuselage and glued in place.

I also did something different for the motor mount on the second one. KI use a piece of black 1/4" lexan I had laying around for the motor mount. I scuffed the backside with 40 grit rally good before gluing in place. this stuff can be drilled and tapped to accept machine screws for mounting if you wish. I would still use nuts on the backside though as a precaution.

a video for the change to the tail servo mounts would be really helpful. I have an Idea of how I am going to run the rods, but it took some figuring out.

Really looking forward to flying this plane when everything arrives.

WOody

Tony

Staff member
I will see what I can do in getting a new video up on the v3. The only video I have is the v1, and I have removed that one from the store. However, if you want to download it, just substitute v1 for the v3 in the URL.

sarconastic

I was pleasantly surprised to see the new design. The folding worked great. For someone a little less do it yourself it may be a little confusing but it can be done.

I had to make myself a tool for cutting the 45 degree cut for the notches since no one around here had one though. but it went together great, and each part I finish is a little better each time. I am hoping to have all my materials together for it this week and try a maiden by next weekend. Just do a no snow dance for me. I guess I could make skis for it.

Woody

Top Bottom