General RCH Trainer Taping Question

Lanman

Hey guys,
I'm building my first scratch built foamy based on the RCH Trainer. I'm curious about how you would cover curves like the wing tips with packing tape. Since the tape doesn't stretch I'm not sure how to avoid getting a lot of wrinkles and creases. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410021377.603518.jpg

Thanks, Dave

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410021377.603518.jpg

Tony

Staff member
About the only way to do it is to use small pieces and overlap them. Start by putting the middle of the tape on the leading edge, then slowly work the top and bottom down.

Derek

definitely follow what Tony said. If you use long pieces of tape, you are going to get wrinkles. Shorter pieces work very well for getting a smooth finish. You can also use a gift card or credit card to help lay the tape down.

Lanman

Thanks guys. That helped a lot. I give you scratch foam builders a lot of credit because this isn't as easy as it might look. Although I'm having to learn a few things along the way, it's more work than I would have expected. I finally finished taping the wing. Can't say it isn't bright enough.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410037028.206399.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410037028.206399.jpg

Gerald

I am a little late to make this comment, but did you do any kind of spar reinforcement to that wing? I did not on mine and it folded under load. If you fly gentle and save the aileron rolls and snappy loops for another plane it will be ok. Just a heads up, cuz it really sucked when I totaled my RCH trainer. :(

Tony

Staff member
I have never used a spar in my wings and never had one fold on me. But, I make sure my cuts are very straight, and I overlap the glue around the seam.

Lanman

I didn't add a spar but I did think about it. The wing feels surprisingly strong as is and I'm not planning any aggressive flying with it. I took a long break from RC and got back into it flying helis and multi rotors a few years ago. This will be my first fixed wing since 1983 so I'll take it easy.

Top Bottom