General RCH Trainer plane

wolfman76

Yeah i know but if the rod you are using is small enough antenna tubes are much cheaper i think my LHS sells them for like a quarter a piece i actually got a bag of them bunch different colors.

ozmo

Managed to join the wings last night. I cut slots for two 8" pieces of arrow shaft as spars at the wing joint, Taped the bottom first then put white gorilla glue in with the arrow shafts. Taped over the top and applied a sand bag to control the foaming glue. I have pics in the pic forum Post Your Rc-Help Trainer Pictures!!! - Page 4

ozmo

Took my RCH out to the field today. Not quite ready to fly but still lots of interest. My student is salivating over it. I told him its his to keep but he will need to provide a motor and ESC. Big smiles. The stick we are using right now isn't really doing the job. It has an EPP wing that is to floopy...It will have to improve to get floppy:dog:

- - - Updated - - -

The RCH Trainer
:Dneeds it's own thread.

- - - Updated - - -

oops never mind.....time for Ozmo to sleep!

Tony

Staff member
haha, I'm glad that your student liked it. Hopefully it will fly as well as it looks (I'm picturing it looking really good lol). Keep us posted!

ozmo

Here is a tip for hot gluing the wing to the panel on top of the fuse.
Place a scrap of computer paper on top of the fuse with two blobs of hot glue each about as big as a nickel. One on each side about the middle. place the wing on it and get it level with the tail. When you get a warm fuzzy about it being level remove the paper and apply the rest of the hot glue. The two blobs will keep it all true while the rest of the glue cools.
be careful not to get hot glue to far forward though.....don't ask:disgust:

Tony

Staff member
Got a picture or video of what you are trying to explain? I have an idea, but some may be lost on this.

ozmo

Re: RCH Trainer.... plane wng leveling trick

well I have a hard time loading pics here but I try
Step one: lay a 2" wide strip of scrap paper across the fuse approx. in the middle tape it to the sides wit h tiny spot of tape
Step 2: mark center lines on both fuse and wing
Step 3: apply 2 blobs of hot glue on the paper
step 4: set wing on blobs and align and level
Step 5: remove paper, apply rest of hot glue on wing seat area. reset wing

the two blobs will hold the wing level while the rest of the glue cools
pics are in the RCH trainer pics #36 37

- - - Updated - - -

Well i'm getting better with pics . Picture it with the cut out in place, the paper then the blobs would go where the X is
and hold up the wing for the placement of the rest of the hot glue. Works the same either way its just that the smaller blobs cool faster

- - - Updated - - -

these pics show the blob and the two 8" arrow shaft spars that are set In white gorilla glue.

- - - Updated - - -

motor is a turnigy C3530 1400 But I am not sure which prop to go for yet 8-4 or 9-6????
33 amp ESC 3s 2200 lipo I have 2 cell lipos also.

here is a link to you tube review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JTHJBbUcFA

- - - Updated - - -

the red line is were the blobs are to much flash to see it arrow shafts show up nice

- - - Updated - - -

well to much OT at work today so I'll flop in the servos esc and battery tomorrow

Spoons are a kick HUH

- - - Updated - - -

my student already set up his radio per Tony's Youtube vid...he is stoked to fly this thing!

RCH TRAINER  glue spot.jpg

7  7  2013 018.jpg

7  7  2013 017.jpg

murankar

Staff member
I know, the glue will provide a flat surface area. Maybe use wax paper so it pulls off clean.

Those two globs of glue should provide just enough of a base to mount the wing level.

ozmo

ERRR well I repaired mine after a nose dork due to battery failure and now I was looking for the center of gravity on the plan.
I have trimmed mine and can't find it.
What is the recommended C of G?:dread:

Tony

Staff member
In all honesty, I have not dialed it down to one specific spot. However, it is within 1/2" fore or aft of 1/3 chord. I really need to get another one built and do some serious testing. Just have not had time.

And I say that I need to build another one because for one, I have a different wing and tail on the new plans, and the one that I have built that you see in the videos is a LOT heavier than it should be with all of that vinyl.

I will see about making a new one and getting some testing done. More than likely it's going to be with a straight wing, but I might just make a few different wings to play with.

ozmo

Thanks Tony,
I have ordered an received all the "innerds" for a second one. I will make a couple wings. I want to try one a bit thicker to see if it'll slow down. The one we're flying is great, I just like those slow lazy circuits in the late evening.

- - - Updated - - -

oh I gotta try a flapped version too:eagerness:

Tony

Staff member
If you do flaps, first, try the flaps as 1/3rd the control, and the aileron the other 2/3rd. Make sure to dial in a slight bit of up elevator. If you have a radio that cna slow the servo down, it will help with the flaring when deploying the flaps.

Tony

Staff member
Oh, and on your DX8, those are going to be sweet. Set them to 2 seconds in the speed menu.

Top Bottom