General RCH Trainer plane

Derek

Go to the "Store" in the upper tool bar. you can get the plans "FREE" from there. It really is a great plane and simple to build.

I think the foam board that we use, here in the states, is hard for you, in the UK, to get, but I imagine that depron would work just the same.

Derek

Yeah man! I've been on Phoenix alot today. How many hours from now do you get off work? Maybe we can fly then!

Derek

I went to the sim, Kyle. I was there for about 25 minutes or so. I said hello...crashed a few times, flew for a bit...crashed a few more times. You must have been busy. I'll look for ya later on.

Take care!

ozmo

HI,
New to this web site. Long time builder /flyer. Want to make the RC-Help Trainer our club trainer.
Looking for a bill of materials. Approximates are fine. Motor, ESC battery and prop. All the other stuff can come out of the Magic Box ( Scrap bin).

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a different way to mount the LG giving break away and a hatch.

Tony

Staff member
Making the RCH Trainer your club trainer? That would be awesome!

Build materials are all listed on the first page of the plans. The plane is made out of foamboard from dollar tree, but any foam board will work. Just remember the heavier the board, the more motor you are going to need. Make sure to post up in your own thread and explain exactly what you are wanting to do and we can help you out a bit more.

wolfman76

WOW!!!! What An honor that is way cool I'm sure Tony is glad to have new members to the forum let alone having a plane of his design being used as an official club trainer... WELCOME TO THE RC-HELP FAMILY!!! Oh and i love that name by the way...

Tony

Staff member
I just finished editing the RCH Trainer file in the store for anyone that wants to redownload it. I have put marks on each page where they need to be cut (solid red lines) as well as cleaned up some of the lines in the plans. Go download the V2 plans now, they are FREE!!!

ozmo

Recommended options or changes to the plan or build sequence for the trainer.
#1 move rubber band pegs to 1/2" in front of and behind the LE and TE respectively. (does not compress the wing as much)
#2 install motor to firewall BEFORE attaching FW to fuse. (just because I have big clumsy fingers:torn:)
#3 mount servos inside the fuse and use pushrods to allow servo positioning to help with the balance. Quick connectors on the tail so adjusting can happen with the wing on.
#4 offer a semi-simetric aerobatic wing option :onthego: This could be a really nice 2nd level trainer too!

Tony

Staff member
Thanks for those suggestions. The reason I have the dowel pins for the rubber bands under the wing is to help hold it centered. Some people don't want to use the piece under the wing that was cut out of the fuse to secure it. But if they do, yoru idea is GREAT. Love it.

Mounting the motor before mounting the firewall would work, never thought of that.

Mounting the servos inside the fuse might cause some confusion to some of the new pilots. This is the reason I have put them in teh side. When you install them inside, you have to put the hole for the rods in the right place to keep them from binding and reach the control surface correctly. However, I have heard reports of this plane being tail heavy for some. If they were to mount the servos inside the fuse just behind the battery would cure this issue. I will see about adding some servo mounts to the plans for inside the fuse.

I used to have it on the plans to use a kfm4 airfoil for what you stated. It goes to 50% chord on both top and bottom fo the wing. I like this idea and I will see about creating a new file just for the wing. I need to build another trainer and I think I will be taking all of your ideas into account when I do.

Another thing that I might put on the plans is a bolt on wing. Rubber bands are better for beginners, but bolt on is just SO much faster.

And by the way, I have uploaded new plans that I updated last night. Nothing changed with the plans themselves, but I did add "V2" to them so that everyone knows they are the new plans with the new wing and tail.

Keep the ideas coming, I'm liking them.

ozmo

I wanna say that I have been looking for this electric trainer FOR AWHILE! It is the right size to be an outdoor trainer, be visible, yet just small enough to be inexpensive. The build videos rock.
I have trained RC flyers for 20+ years using the Goldberg Eagle series, Sig LT 40s, various ARFs and the occasional stick plane. I was wanting an electric that could be student built, affordable and still do a nice job of being a good flyer. This plane does ALL that! THANKS Tony. AND this is just perfect timing for the upcoming August 17th - National Model Aviation Fly-In.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/nmad.aspx

Derek

I would love to see the "bolt on wing" mod. Do you have any thoughts in mind on how to do it "RCH" style?

Tony

Staff member
Yup, and my new trainer will have it. just not the color scheme that i have on it lmao. All you need to do is get a 1/4x1 piece of balsa, a tap and some thin CA. Mount the balsa with hot glue, drill out the holes, tap them to the correct bolt size, them put some thin CA in the threads to make them a bit stronger. I woud put 4 bolts on the wing, but it can work with 2 if you use a bit enough washer.

Matt has already done this to his, it's pretty easy to do.

wolfman76

How about like using antenna tubes to help guide the pushrods if mounting all the servos inside the fuselage... Might keep from binding

Tony

Staff member
If you order control rod, the ones from Dubro should come with sheeting for it to guide through. My LHS carries this.

Top Bottom