Cars RC Trike with prop

Derek

So...I crashed my EA Delta Wing, the other day, and decided to do something different. My wife is very scared to "fly" RC but she is very interested in the hobby and what I do. So...I decided to make an RC Trike from the parts off my EA Delta Wing. Here is the unveiling video and we'll have a driving video soon...when it stops raining.

New Project: RC Trike - YouTube

I did do a bit of test running on my street, just to see how it all works out, and I was pleasantly surprised. Very happy with this lil bugger.

Lee

Looks cool Derek. I've been toying with the idea of making a Paramotor with a trike. One day i'll get around to it.

Derek

hmmm...a paramotor. never thought of that. That would be something different, lol.

Lee

We have a lot of old power kites at the schools i work for. Just need to get one and start building :D

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Now I like that! I think I'm going to have to try building one myself! Ha Ha. I'm kind of partial to ground pounders anyways! Lol

Derek

Thanks Sam! I haven't had an RC car in years...probably 15 years ago or so was when I had my last rc car. I really wanted to give my wife something that she could have some fun with. She says that she really wants to learn to fly RC, which would be awesome...but she is just afraid of crashing and upsetting me....as if I never crash or something, lol. I'll get her to fly something sometime, but in the meantime...she can have a blast with this Trike. It couldn't be much simpler, really. The only real trouble that I had was getting the servo arm to travel enough to get a decent turning radius. I did leave the Dual Rates at 100% but it's also set for 40% Expo so that the turning isn't so abrupt. I think she'll like it.

Stambo

That looks like fun. Dare I ask, apart from hitting something, how do you stop it?
I have an idea for brakes, perhaps a servo near each back wheel with a slipper of sorts on the end of the arm that rubs on the back wheels.

Derek

As it stand right now...it's just friction with the ground that slows it down. I'm still working on a brake system.

Derek

Those people that have seen this video of my Trike seem to really like it and they like what I've done. That's awesome!

However, on Youtube is a different story. I'm getting all kinds of crazy replies. People are telling me that I have the propeller on backwards. Actually, I took it out for short test run this afternoon and it goes quite fast.....in a forward direction. Since it is going in a forward direction, it would seem to me that I have the propeller on correctly. Something that I did forget to mention in the video was that instead of flipping the propeller, I just swapped two of the three wires...making the motor turn the opposite direction.

I guess ya just can't please everyone.

Tony

Staff member
First thing I had pop into my head when I saw that was a powered hang glider. Would be pretty simple to do with two servos as well. Just use the weight of the trike to turn and bank the glider. Just make a triangle wing. Well, trianglish lol.

Derek

ok, I just noticed something and I'm glad that no one else has noticed this before me, lol. I actually had the propeller on the motor backwards. I seem to remember reading that the numbers on the prop should face the direction that you want the plane (or in this case, the Trike) to go. I had the numbers facing rearwards. I now have the prop turned around and the motor spinning the appropriate way. The test runs, this weekend, should be pretty cool. I'm really looking forward to seeing my wife's face while she is running this bugger around.

And yes...I will have pics AND video. It should be pretty cool!

Tony

Staff member
Put fold out wings on it and flip the switch just as she starts to get some speed lmao. That would be funny as hell.

Derek

...lol...actually, I was thinking about how I could mount a spoiler or two on it...similar to a Formula 1 racecar. I dunno...this is for the wife, so I'll have to wait and see what she thinks.

Stambo

How about fpv on it. Now that would really get her interested. Could be a bit of fun for you too. :)

Derek

Yeah...I've definitely thought about doing FPV on this Trike. How cool would that be, lol!!!

Lee

That was well noticed by the guys on youtube. You have infact got the prop on backwards. You have the motor and prop set up as a pull system from the plane, but now its a pusher system. Flip the prop around and you will find its even faster than it was.
Edit: didn't see the second page. You noticed already :D

Last edited:

Derek

I have recently flipped the prop and, despite the fact that it's 4:30am (or 04:30 on Tony's watch), I wanna take it outside and give it a run...but....it's STILL raining. It's been raining and storming for the past 11 hours +. How is a guy/gal suppose to go play with RC while it raining and storming???

I'll try it out again this weekend and I'll give the sticks to my wife and we'll have pics and video, too.

Derek

Ok...as promised...my wife and I took the Trike out for a test run tonight. I drove it a little bit but since this is mostly for her...the sticks were in her hands for a majority of the time we were out. She had a great time with the Trike and she really likes it.

Here's some video:

Trike Video at night - YouTube

Top Bottom