General Rc Setup

Peatree

Hi all,

I am just getting into the hobby, however, am unsure to what I should buy for a plane that I propose to build. The plane I think I'll build will be 800-950g depending on what battery I use in the future. It will be a pusher plane, with a 30amp plush esc, 9g servos, 2200mah 3s battery. However, I am unsure what motor to power it with. As I have very little experience, I am looking for a motor that will allow the plane to fly smoothly but surely, however not to slow that it might stall or 'jump' around. I have put a picture of what it will look like. It is pretty much 2/3 of the size of the FB Drone built by Mrwest1960 on youtube. So what motor do you think? Plane Design.png

Peatree

Plane Design.png

Tony

Staff member
I think on that one, you should run about the same motor that I'm running on the RCH Trainer. It's a 70g motor spinning 1000kv and pulling about 300 watts. That should be more than enough power for a 3 foot wing plane. You could even go just slightly smaller, something like a 60g motor and 250 watts, same kv.

I like the idea though, very clean design.

Tony

Staff member
I will have to let someone else answer that one. I have never had luck with finding the right motor on HK's website. I order everything for myself from USA shops. But I'm sure Lee or Gaba, or someone like that will be able to hunt down a motor with the specs that i have above.

Derek

Hey there, Peatree!!! When I saw your picture, above, I immediately thought of the FB Drone, lol. I have two of them. I will have the maiden flight of one of them very soon.

Anyway...Another plane that I thought of when I read that you are wanting your plane to be smaller than the FB Drone was the "Flex" by my good buddy Wayne, on youtube. check out this video here:

FLEX SCRATCH BUILD FPV PLANE - YouTube

If we take Tony's suggestion, he suggesting the exact motor for the RCH Trainer. The motor that's on my RCH Trainer is the Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV Brushless Outrunner Motor along with a 30amp Plush ESC and I have a 10x4.7 slow fly prop on it. All kind of power and the motor never gets warm. Tony has also suggested the 2215 1300kv motor from Hobby Partz. I dont have any experience with that motor but I can tell you that the D2836/8 1100KV motor is awesome for my trainer.

I hope this helps buddy! Good luck!

Top Bottom