RC Plane 4D System

Tony

Staff member
He is running a variable pitch prop. There are soem planes in phoenix and real flight that can do this.

danhampson

there are a couple of photos on another forum and it looks like it is using some heli like blade grips and cut down edge blades.

Tony

Staff member
The only time that I can think of that being helpful to me is when I overshoot the runway and need brakes lol.

Ken Jackson

Sure seemed to me the motor was reversable. Couple times it seemed to propel backwards. I gotta watch again but that was the coolest video.

thanks for posting that one Dan

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Absolutely a variable pitch prop that can go negative. The plane is awesome but so was that pilot.

Lee

There was a guy flying at Heli Masters with an even bigger one.
Heres a cool video of a smaller one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

That looks like fun! I've seen this setup on foamies. I'd like to try it some time.

EyeStation

I am amazed at the backwards lift that thing did towards the ceiling while torque rolling. It would seem all your control surfaces would have a different feel going backwards.
On his falls, did you see the ailerons going almost 90°? Wow!

danhampson

ive been researching different setups and some of the 3d guys run 90° throws on elev, you must need some high end/high torque servos for that amount of throw.

I would have thought that while it is going backwards that all the surfaces would do the opposite to normal flight. Would it risk ripping the hinges out of the control surfaces and wings when they throw it in reverse.

Ken Jackson

They were never going very fast when they went backwards. I doubt you would want to give it everything its got going backwards. It also looked to me like maybe the negative blade pitch (backwards) was not very much pitch. As compared to a heli +11 and -10.

ken

danhampson

i think it would be the airflow to/from the prop flowing over the control surfaces like when doing harrier or hover the control surface authority is generated by the prop wash

Tony

Staff member
Do you really want to trust cheap chinese crap though? And that is a VERY small motor...

Top Bottom