Rc Help trainer build Progress

Adam

Here you go Tony all your hard work being put to good use.
I was busy all night.
[video=youtube_share;sXSU1VhN-go]http://youtu.be/sXSU1VhN-go[/video]

Tony

Staff member
I was doing some test fitting last night and found an error on the tail. When you put the rudder over the elevator, where it sits in the curved hole of the rudder is too low. The front of the notch in the rudder needs to stay the same, but the back needs to go up about 3/16". I will be notating this on the plans today. If you want to redownload them and just print out the last sheet, you can. Gotta love a work in progress lmao.

Adam

Here is my fuselage completed. And i will have to do that to the rudder it kind of sucks cause i have it cut already but i bough plenty of extra foam hahahaha.
IMAG0200.jpg

IMAG0200.jpg

Tony

Staff member
You can modify it. Just cut the radius for the elevator a little farther down. plans are updated as well.

Tony

Staff member
Do you want something that will stay slow or has the potiential for some speed?

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I would do for speed but will still fly slow.

Motor: http://www.hobbypartz.com/75m56-optima450-2220-1380kv-2.html
ESC: http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e04-proton-30a.html

The motor is rated at 28a so if you want to play it safe, go with the 40a Proton ESC with the BEC

- - - Updated - - -

Pair those with a 10x6 APC prop and you will be golden. May want to order a 10x8 just to test. I would get these from Tower Hobbies site since they are better quality props.

Adam

Done and Done now the prop all i can see for apc on tower hobby is a 10x7 or 10x5 i will be ordering 4 so i dont want to get this screwed up lol. And i love that motor with the 40amp esc cause i wont need to do any sottering you rock haha. Any chance on #5 video please

Tony

Staff member
I'm working on it. I'm about to cover the elevator surface with the "Secret" colors then I will be making the next video. I have already cut the rudder and covered it in the "Secret" color and the elevator is the last piece. I have been working for about 7 hours on this getting everything cut out on the plotter. I think it looks really good, but that is for the world to decide :biggrin1:

Let me look at those props.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the 10x6. I think this one will work really well, but not sure since I don't have a motor with that many KV. I'm running a 12x6 on the plane now, so this one, even being the same pitch, should have less draw on the motor.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX1547&P=ML

Here is the 10x8. I don't know if this one would be a good idea but if you try it, let me know how it goes.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX1549&P=7

Tony

Staff member
haha sweet. Make sure to test the motor temp after about 2 minutes of flight. Static testing won't give you an accurate reading and will actually get hotter than it will in the air.

I will try to get the video done tomorrow. Had an issue here that I had to take care of that took me away from editing the video. Hopefully all of this BS is over with but I doubt it. Only time will tell.

Adam

Ok control horns and ez connectors i got from tower hobbies but what do i use for servo wire just get it from a hardware store? Everything on their website was a little over board. And spray painting the plane wont work i tried a test piece.

Tony

Staff member
I'm using .047" wire on mine. On the two tail controls i will be using a piece of fiber rod to help support it so it doesn't flex. i will show how I'm going to do that in the next video that I have yet to shoot. I'm actually working today at the base so no video for the day. I will try to finish up the videos this week and get the maiden done so I can start on my helicopter build that I just received today. I don't know what one I want to fly more, the plane or the helicopter lol.

If you have the money when you pick up the wire from the LHS, get yourself a pair of Z bend pliars. It will make your life quite easy if you are not using the plastic EZ links or connectors or whatever they are called lol.

Adam

Ok the figer rod does that slip over the wire or what do i need to get so i can have it ready. All i could find was solid carbon fiber rod?

Tony

Staff member
Yeah, I'm going to be using 2mm solid rod and then take some thread and wrap it with thread. Once you get a good amount of thread covering it on the two ends of the rod, drop some thin super glue on it or epoxy to hold everything in place. if this is hard to understand, it will all click when I do the next video and show exactly how to make it all work. Pretty much you are wanting to keep the .047" wire from bending when the servos are "pushing" on it.

Adam

Ok so this might get a few of you to laugh. I have never had any rc hobby stuff and i thought heli blades see scary i got the airplane props in today oh now those are scary. And now that I have two fifteenth sizes i also know what the size means lol

Tony

Staff member
First number is the length, second number is the number of inches it goes through the air per turn. It will all become second nature after a little while. I did just finish editing the last build video and will have it uploaded today. I have shot the Tx setup video but still need to edit it. I am going to head outside when my brother in law gets here and we are going to shoot the maiden video of this plane. Should look great in the air. We will find out when I get the video done. Either way, you guys are going to see the ACTUAL maiden flight. I have only spun the motor twice on the bench. Once to make sure it was spinning the correct direction, and the second time to make sure it was going to clear the side pieces that I have on the plans. Can't wait to get this thing in the air.

Adam

Alright so the motoe and esc are in wisconsin I should have them this weekend so there will be some more pictures aand depending on time maybe a maiden on fathers day.

Top Bottom