General Racestar F4s Flight Controller With Dsmx Reciever

Justin S

Hello, I need help. I have a Racerstar F4S flight controller and I have a dsmx reciever. I’m hearing that I need a 3.3v buck or a 3.3v step down to make it work. I don’t know if that true or what but I need help with wiring the reciever to the fc and how to make it work in betaflight. Thank you

Last edited:

Admiral

Welcome to the forum, as far as the receiver and the controller go you have no issues, the F4S has a 3 Amp/ 5 Volt Sbec and the Spektrum receiver will work fine on 3.5 to 9 Volts. As far as set up goes I can't help but I'm sure someone will come along shortly who has set them up.

Product Specifications AR400 DSMX Receiver
Type:Full-range DSMX® aircraft receiver# of Channels:4
Modulation: DSM2/DSMX
Band: 2.4GHz
Length: 1.2 in (31mm)
Width: 0.7 in (17mm)
Height: 0.4 in (11mm)
Weight: 0.2 oz (5.6 g)
Voltage Range: 3.5–9.6V
Antenna Length: 190mm

1499154699_3.jpg

Justin S

So this is the f4s flight controller I have. I only see a sbus/ppm at the top right. So can I just put the spektrum reciever onto that and it’ll work?
Thanks for the replies

Attachments

• AA296DA9-0659-4CA9-99B2-E03DD283614B.jpeg
    AA296DA9-0659-4CA9-99B2-E03DD283614B.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 7

Tony

Staff member
Very sorry for the late reply.

I have been studying that FC trying to find where to wire everything up to and this one surprises me. With a Spektrum Sat, you will need the VCC (5v in this case. I always use a 3.3 port, but it seems this board doesn't have one and @Admiral taught me something today! I didn't know they could go up to 9v!), ground and then you have the signal. VCC and ground are pretty self explanatory but the signal (usually gray wire, maybe yellow) needs to go to an RX port on the board. I'm only seeing one Rx port and that is where the GPS is wired into in your picture. Unless the SID for SBUS is UART3 or something, the RX6 is going to be your only option.

From there you will need to go into the config tab and set a serial rx to on, then you will need to go into the receiver tab and set it to spektrum 2048. I may have those backwards and if I do, it will turn off the serial rx when you save the file. Always double check all settings after saving.

This has to be the first board I have seen that doesn't have multiple UART ports on it and that doesn't have a 3.3 pad. Hope this helps and again, sorry for the late reply.

Sawekas

Hi all, sorry to be posting in an old thread, but some of you might be able to help me.

I have just bought the racerstar F4S AIO flight controller, but it does not connect to my pc. Right out of the box, i attempted to connect it to my PC and used Impulse RC driver fixer to sort out the drivers. however when i launch the application, the window just freezes on "searching for flight controller" as soon as i plug in the FC. This is not an issue with any of my other drones.

If I have posted in the wrong place, please excuse me, and I am happy to shift the post. But if anyone has any information on how this could be solved or how i could even trouble shoot what is causing the crash, I would greatly appreciate it.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Sawekas. I'm not sure if this helps but have you tried powering up the FC with a battery while connected to the PC? I don't know why but all my FC are Omnibus F4V2. Some of the FC when I connect to the PC using Betaflight, I can program the FC contoller without the battery and the other FC, I have to connect my battery inorder to be programmed. It doesn't make sense but it could be because even though they're the same FC it could be a different batch, maker or just the way it was design. Give that a try. Not sure if it will work but can't hurt :).

Sawekas

Hi D.O.G., thank you for your prompt reply! I haven't tried connecting it with the battery plugged in. I just ordered spare xt60 connectors so once they come in I'll try that.

I think I have made some progress as I managed to get into DFU mode and successfully flash the firmware on the FC. However having tried multiple omnibusF4 firmwares, it appears that only the (legacy) ones are compatible (Led flashes when flashed) and the new (Airb) leave the board completely dead (led does not even blink once when connected to pc). But the problem is that the (legacy) firmware still does not connect and my betaflight freezes when I try to connect. So I think i am still at square one.

That being said, I will try connecting up the controller with the battery plugged in and see how that works out.

Again, thanks a lot for your reply!

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Oh yeah. Also try installing an older version first vs installing the newest version. I had that problem too. The newest version wouldn't work but if I installed an older version first...it worked. Then if you want go to the next version to see if that works. If that works go to the next newest version and so on. FC are strange like that. I'm also not a fan of AIO. If something goes wrong...you have to throw it out. At least with esc installed in your quad, If one esc goes bad, you can replace just the esc instead of buying a new AIO...just my opinion.

Sawekas

Ohhh. So I just tried some older drivers, but still the same problem... It just when i try to make a connection something freezes (betaflight configurator in this instance). Ill keep trying to flash something :D

Yeah, I 100% agree with you on the AIO, I am just trying to make a compact build with runcam mini that is able to record, so wouldnt need a separate action camera... but I guess I may have been dreaming too big. I've got another drone without the AIO shenanigans, burned an esc like first week in, so yeah, I get you :D

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
As for action cameras. Everyone likes Go pros or similar ones. In my opinion it's too big for my quads. I like the slim ones like the mobius, which they don't make anymore. I found my new favorite action slim camera that works fine for me. I have 2 of them now. A little pricey but worth it... to me anyway :). RunCam 2 Ultra Lightweight FPV HD Camera

Sawekas

I plan to invest into a GoPro, when i sort out a quality build, but for now I just got a runcam split mini, I believe. It has an sd slot for recording video, which is may not be the best quality but its a starting point :D

Anyway, I just got some XT60s delivered and tried connecting to the battery then connecting to BetaFlight but still nothing. I am running out of Ideas on how this may be resolved. Betaflight does not even come up with an error, just straight freezes until i disconnect the flight controller from USB.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Sorry I haven't been any help. The last thing I can suggest is uninstall beta flight then reinstall beta flight again. Give that a try.

Top Bottom