General Question on Servos upgrade for Trex 550E DFC

totoheat

Hello Guys

Am looking to upgrade my 4 stock servos and I see Torq BL 9180 and 9188 as an option any advice for this servos are they really good as they are expensive ?

spec say that are build in Helical gears to avoid slop

:thinking:

Tony

Staff member
Are you running Align servos? If so, there is no need to upgrade. I'm running 610's on my 600 nitro, and they are working great.

totoheat

Hello

Yes,am running the stock DS615 and 55 and seems that Elevator servo is having a problem as is doing more noise then it was before am not sure if is having problems with gears or something or if is normal being noisy also I think they have a lot slop I noticed when leveling swash plate

that's reason am considering some options in case I face failure with stock aileron servo

what would be the advice in case I need to replace this Aileron servo? actually I don't know any other servo maker to chose

Tony

Staff member
It's really common for digital servos to be quite noisy. The 615's are great servos, and the 655 is amazing! I have that servo on my tail on my 600 and it's solid as a rock.

If you want to upgrade servos though, look at Savox for about the same reliability, or MKS for top of the line. There are also some BK servos (Bert Kammerer designed them, .03 second speed, I"m talking smoking fast) but you are going to have to put a second mortgage on your house to get them.

totoheat

I understand,so maybe normal the performance with Aileron being noisy,initialize normal with 3GX and shows no problem really when in the air so I will follow your advice and keep them as they are

Many thanks for help

Derek

If you have some doubts about the servos, maybe put them on a servo tester/meter and see if the output is what the specs say.

totoheat

Derek,Thanks for that

I was going to ask about servo tester device as well and how this work and which type would be a good option to buy it for both devices as last time when I did the Swash plate level on Trex I expend a lot of time doing it because servos horns are not centered and also when I push th stick to check interactions there is always some gaps

any way last time I work on swash plate what I did was try to keep no gaps before mid and after mid stick and Trex works great at hover and lands very soft and easy

could you please suggest a Servo tester to check Elevator Servo and a Servo centering device

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
I don't use a servo tester per se', but I do use a watt meter that Derek so graciously donated to me to check the wattage. But, I always buy my servos all at once to get the same batch too.

Here is a video on the watt meter that I have. Again, this is not a "servo tester" but it will allow you to see how many watts a servo is pulling under a load to see if the motor is too high on resistance. If you want a servo tester, there are many otu there from amainhobbies, tower hobbies and the like. I would NOT use the ones from china or ebay though.

Turnigy 2in1 Power Meter, Watt Meter, Motor Tester, Servo Tester - YouTube

Tony

Staff member
I have put 3 servo testers in the RCH Store. They are through Amazon, but they will do what you need them to. The black tester will do more than the other two, but the cheaper testers will allow you to plug in all 3 cyclic servos and check their center, reaction time, and make sure they are moving together. Just click on teh store link below, then select "Tools" in the menu on the right. Might have to go to page 2 to find them. But they are in there.

RC-Help.com - Rc-Help Store

Derek

I have that same meter that Tony showed in the above video. I bought his and mine at the same time. It's a handy little thing. It's not something I use all the time but it is definitely a cool little thing to have around. I bought them from Hobby King. Here is the link if you are curious:

Turnigy 2 in 1 Power Meter/Servo Meter 1.5 TFT

Not only will this meter tell you what kind of power a servo will be using, this meter has a second channel that you can use to hook up to a motor and esc and this meter will tell you the amps, watts, and voltage being used. No, this meter is not made by Align nor SAB Heli Division. It is sold from Hobby King but I really like this meter. It's a very handy tool!

totoheat

Derek,thanks for that

am going to place the order with HK for this device to check all the Trex servos and discard a failure on Elevator servo

- - - Updated - - -

Tony,thanks

Cool the black one seems to be the best option and price is not to high, I will go for it

Top Bottom