Purchased A New Lappy Today

Tony

Staff member
I'm sure you guys remember back when I purchased my Asus lappy with the i5 CPU in it. It was a great lappy however the GPU was a little lacking. It's too bad I can't build a lappy like I build my desktops. Well my old HP lappy is on it's last leg, the disk drive (CD/DVD) was dead and won't open and the computer is just slow. So I talked to the wife and her and I decided it was time for a new lappy.

We headed to BestBuy and started looking around. I found 3 that I liked, but in the end the HP Pavillion DV7 won out. It has an i7 CPU, 8GB of memory on a 64 bit OS And a decent graphics card. I'm hoping with this one it will do what I want it to do. It's a 17" screen running 1600x900 and has a full 10 key on the right. It is a multi touch mouse pad but I think I can get used to it.

Unlike my last one that was silver as well as my old HP, this one is black. I wish it had a back lit keyboard, but I think I will live lol. I have only had it for a few hours but I will see what I can learn about it in the coming weeks. I'm really hoping it will run my video editing software so I can get some work done at work lol.

Here is the link to the computer.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+17...p?id=1218532171061&skuId=4810952&st=pavillion dv7&cp=1&lp=1

Tony

Staff member
I swore I would not get one again, but the deal I got I couldn't pass up. Seems to be pretty good so far. I'm going to be cleaning it out here soon and get rid of all of this bloat that is in it. Should be much faster after that.

Once I get some cash, I will get the cable and install an SSD for the OS and put this HDD in the second slot. Should be really fast then.

someguyinsandy

Crash Test Dummy
A guy I work with bought one of the Pavilions. It's monster big, but a nice LT all the way round. I have never owned a HP computer in my life, but a lot of people have good luck with them.

Tony

Staff member
This one is big. It has a 17" screen and weighs over 5 lbs. But with the amount of power it has, I think it's worth it. I will be testing it out a lot more tomorrow I hope.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
My Lappy is a dv7 too but an older one. 17" screen it needs to be redone though. I have so much clutter it's slow has heck!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Lee, the issue with you computer is it's a Mac lmao. Get windows and like it hahaha.

Sam, I'm actually cleaning out my lappy now from all of the fluff that was in it, then I'm going to burn the recovery disk. This one is pretty fast but with an i7, it better be lmao.

Matt, that is one heavy lappy.

I forgot to mention that the screen on this lappy has a better contrast than my desktop computer. I'm talking the blues here on the site are vibrant and bright. I didn't notice this before getting the lappy. I think I like it lol.

Whirlybird

Nah!!!! As they have in Jurassic Park . . . get a Unix machine . . . now this will include any Linux distro and also Mac OS X(+) :lol:

I actually use my HTPC in the living room with Commodore OS Vision (64bit) more than my Windows 7 (64bit) machine. The unix based OSes are more fun . . . especially since they are FREE :hdbng:

Just upgraded my wife's vista machine to Windows 7 at $135.00 :yikes:

Last edited:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I hate to say this tony.. I worked for HP ... as a tech.. I hate HP stuff. They look and feel so awesome.. with their goodies.. inside they are crap.. BUT .. BUT.. I hope this one breaks the pattern.. heehee.. I dont wanna be a buzz kill.. but just my personaly expereience... look out for this machine after 6-8 months.. :)

Tony

Staff member
Gaba, I know all about the HP's. I have already had one that I had to take the mobo out of and put it in the oven just to reflow the solder on the gpu cause it broke contact and that's the only way to do it lmao. So yeah, I was very leery of purchasing this computer but it was the cheapest i7 lappy there was with a 17" screen and a 10 key. So I bit the bullet and purchased it. So far it's doing better than my Asus I had. But it's all good. I don't plan on keeping this lappy over a year. I will be getting a bigger i7 computer next year with an Nvidia graphics card in it. Then there won't be anything I can't run.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Come on gaba I know you work for HP but. I've had 3 HPs so far. The all work so far. Hell even my old win 95 machine will still fire up and run. It just hasen't the memory and hard drive to do anything with! LOL. This lappy Im useing right know is 4 5 years old. DV7 its A little slow at times but thats due to too many programs in the start up menue. I'm just not smart enough to know how to get rid of them. LOL

murankar

Staff member
go into the start menu and type msconfig in the run box. Then look for the startup tab and click on it. Look for the programs you don't want to start at first log in. thats all there is to that. Then the next time you log in a dialog will open saying the config has changed. In the bottom section look for a check box that says do not display this message again and check it. all done.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
go into the start menu and type msconfig in the run box. Then look for the startup tab and click on it. Look for the programs you don't want to start at first log in. thats all there is to that. Then the next time you log in a dialog will open saying the config has changed. In the bottom section look for a check box that says do not display this message again and check it. all done.

Now I just have to figure out what's what! LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Seams to have helped. Im not sure what to turn off and what to turn on.LOL

murankar

Staff member
just look for the programs you know you installed. Right now I am on Arch Linux so I cant look at the names of the stuff to leave alone. I do know that there is a program that will do the same thing for you. It will also query the internet and tell you which one to leave alone. I believe this is the program I have used in the past to kill start up programs: Start up inspector. Hope this helps you.

Tony

Staff member
I don't like using msconfig to stop programs. I try to actually go into the program that is running and turn it off from starting when windows starts first, and if it doesn't give you that option, then go into msconfig and turn them off. If you turn off any of the microsoft or windows items, the computer will not boot. be careful when you do this.

Top Bottom