Puffed My Lipo Today

Tony

Staff member
well, I have now lost my last 2200 battery that I used in my planes and the HK450GT. Turned this thing into a balloon. The picture doesn't do it justice as to just how big this thing got, and it was hot as hell lmao.

All I was doing was hovering trying to setup my new gyro. Guess that's that...

463871_10201455126203512_1458349513_o.jpg

463871_10201455126203512_1458349513_o.jpg

Tony

Staff member
It goes down when it cools off, but just hovering around, it should have gotten hot. But it did. I think there is just way too much resistance in this battery now and the light draw that I'm putting on it with the alpha 400 motor is actually too much for it. I think the motor is supposed to be something around 25a at 11.1v. I'm going to charge it up one more time, put my watt meter on it (thanks again Derek!) and see just how many amps I'm pulling.

It's possible that the motor is pulling way too many amps than it should. It's an old motor. I took the 30a ESC off the heli because the 40a has a slow start feature. If it is the motor, I'm going to be looking for a new one. Might be time to start putting Align on this bird. Was trying to keep it all clone, but that may be playing with fire. At some point, I'm going to get burned, and get burned bad. More than likely resulting in a crash.

Tony

Staff member
I purchased the battery June 23 2010, so just about 3 years ago. Paid a whole $11.70 for it lmao.

Tony

Staff member
hehe. This is the same lipo that I ran two 64mm EDF's on with no ventilation and it got hot as hell. I think that was the start of the puffing. But it wasn't this big then. Just need to scrape some mullah together and get some more batteries. thinking about getting a new motor for the 450 as well. But again, need money... ugh.

Tony

Staff member
It sure seems like it. 3/4 of the swelling has went down with the battery cooling off, but it's still WAY out of spec on what is acceptable on puffing. And the battery is not getting that warm. And now, the batteries that I was going to order from HK are backordered... go figure lmao.

Slobberdog

Tony you seem to have no luck on this matter, loads avail in the uk, shame it would cost you an arm and a leg to get them over to you or you could order them to me and I would forward.

Top Bottom