General Protection Film for Canopies

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Guys. I stuck thread in here because canopies don't have their own section.

Align canopies look fantastic but the paint layer is very fragile, coming off so easily. I wonder if there is some kind of sticky film that can be put over the canopies to protect them from scratches -- similar to screen protectors you use on your smart phones.

If there is, please show me how to get some. Thanks :D

Last edited:

Lee

Haven't heard of anything. You could maybe spray on a thicker layer of laquer to give more protection. But generally they are considered disposable items after a bad crash.
I moved this to beginner help forum

Tony

Staff member
Being a painter for years, spraying a thicker top coat on the canopy will make it more brittle. IMO, they should use some plasticizers in the paint so that it will flex with the canopy. I used these paints on RC car bodies, and I also use it to paint the plastic bumpers on cars so they don't spider crack when they bend.

If you crack one, and have all the pieces, or the pieces didn't even fall off, then you can spray a light layer of clear coat on the canopy (after cleaning thoroughly with alcohol) to seal the pieces or cracks back together. If you just scratched or scuffed the canopy, you can buff that out with a cheap paint buffing kit, or scratch remover from Walmart or the like. Just treat it as you would your car, and you will be just fine.

xokia

If the pieces fall off or you crack it glue it back together with shoe goo on the inside of the canopy. Shoe Goo has saved me so much money on canopies.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Another quick fix is toilet paper and super glue. Gaba has done that nad it works quite well. I think keeping a bit of fiberglass in your box and using super glue on that will work better.

Just remember, these are "quick fixes" and not something that I would do looking for perfection.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Another quick fix is toilet paper and super glue. Gaba has done that nad it works quite well. I think keeping a bit of fiberglass in your box and using super glue on that will work better.

Just remember, these are "quick fixes" and not something that I would do looking for perfection.

Yep :)

To this whiplash canopy I am doing fiberglass repair and that's just fiberglass cloth from hobby shop and epoxy for a better repair. I could substitute epoxy for thin CA ... I am going that just because the canopy grommet hole is tore up and I need to reenforce that and redrill a new hole.

But my align 450 canopy which was new and clean for 2 months before it tore itself in a crash, is repairs by CA and that's it :) easy peasy.

Paint is cracked and missing but .. The canopy retains its shape and is structurally sound. It's got a SCAR now... But I think that's personality. lol :D

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Lee

For cracks to the paint, i touch it up with a clear nail polish. And the super glue toilet paper is great for reinforcing the inside of the canopy.

Ken Jackson

I ran into a guy in my hobby store and he told me especially on smaller birds that he paints the inside of his canopies with the coating used to dip a new handle grip on hand tools. I tried it on my MCPx BL canopy but never really tested it as I lost my Heli in some woods and never found it. Was pushing my luck in a strong wind.

You know the old ego thing that made me press on thinking I could save it as I watched it get smaller and smaller. :hopelessness: felt pretty dumb afterwards. Kept asking myself why didn't I just kill the throttle?

Anyway it added a little weight and I don't know if it would give elasticity to a fiberglass canopy.
Ken

xokia

Yep :)

To this whiplash canopy I am doing fiberglass repair and that's just fiberglass cloth from hobby shop and epoxy for a better repair. I could substitute epoxy for thin CA ... I am going that just because the canopy grommet hole is tore up and I need to reenforce that and redrill a new hole.
You guys gotta try shoe goo once. I did the same repair on my 450 because my grommet hole was tore up. It's stays pliable and flexible. It also works good to keep the grommets from popping out when sticking the canopy on or off. On the 130x I lost the grommet and tore the canopy up to where a new grommet wouldn't fit. Filled in the hole with shoe goo then drilled a hole where the grommet should be. Had been that way every since.

xokia

Yup that's the stuff. Put it on the inside of the canopy. The stuff self levels after its been on there a bit.

Looks like amain hobbies sells the stuff to. Looks like I'm not the only one to try the stuff out. Dynamite Shoe Goo (1oz) [DYN8001] | Glue, Oil & Cleaners - A Main Hobbies

They list it as fixing lexan bodies which they are probably referring to RC trucks/Cars. I have yet to crack or break a fiberglass canopy. So I dont know how effective it will be where something needs to be rigid for structual integrity. The stuff is strong but I have not pushed its limits yet to see where it fails. The only fiberglass repair I have done so far is on my 450 where the grommet holes where getting tore up and the grommets would no longer stay in place. I stuck new grommets in then shoe gooed around the new grommet. Covering the new grommet but not the hole. I filled in the gaps of the canopy with shoe goo also. They canopy nuts stay in place now and its so much easier to get the canopy on and off now without worrying about the canopy nuts falling out.

For the lexan pieces like on the mcpx,130x,300x...ect the stuff repairs just about anything. Completely torn off pieces can be glued back on and still bend and flex like the original canopy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom