Proper way to use/set up Phoenix 4

JimD

Hello All,

1st post.. new to RC.. new to Heli's.. new to Phoenix 4.. trying to sort out many things.

I'm confused as to how to set up your transmitter (DX8) with Phoenix 4... the 'sticky' how-to by Marius shows to set up the radio to control the sim models (curves, DR, expo, etc)... then I see other posts that show to edit the model attributes inside the sim software ("how to add expo to soften your hovering control..") to control the model behavior. Can you use both? Do they both work equally? Is one method better than the other? Are they cumulative?

On one hand I see using the radio more would make you more familiar with it, and maybe better. On the other, you'd be constantly changing settings for models.. I assume if you make changes in the sim, you could save them, so changing models would be easier (faster).

Any insight or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

Tony

Staff member
You should be able to do everything as Stokke described in his thread. And you should also be able to do the expo and such in the tx as well. Just setup a model for Phoenix in the Tx so it will save the settings you use.

Westy

LEGEND
yes they both work.

You basically have 3 choices.... muck with the radio (which I do not bother) I simlpy do my setting changes in the Sim Software. you can do the changes on a model by model basis .... or you can do it in the software on a global level by editing your Sim settings in the System Your Controller section. I find it faster to set up on the fly edit capability .... this gives you the options on screen while flying and if the controls are too sensitive (or not enough) you can simply dial it in on the fly with the onscreen setups..... if you want help with these settings ... it is easier to come online with us and we can guide you through while you are at the coal face .... it will be faster and easier to show you on an online PHoenix session.

Simply go to multi player and if there is a session hosted .... then you will see something like RC Help Crew or RC help ..... the password is always: tony

Hope this helps and hope to see you online.

JimD

Thanks Westy, you helped me a great deal. I think I've got it going now for the most part. I will try and join you guys in a multiplayer session sometime so you can have a good laugh.. my flying is pretty pitiful, just lucky to get it back on the ground in one piece. Trying to get better but my son's just getting into RC too and he's hogging the sim.

I have another general heli question I'm sure you can answer for me... do collective pitch helis work just like the sim, that is, in NORM flight mode it acts as a fixed pitch heli and then in STUNT1 (or idle up? or whatever it's called) it becomes a collective pitch? That's the way my sim works so I assume that's how everyone's works. My son wants to buy a collective pitch heli and use it as a fixed pitch until he's ready to swap over to CCPM heli... Can this be done? Can it be programmed in the radio to act this way?

Thank you very much.
JD

Tony

Staff member
JD, can you ask this question in the beginner section? Don't want to hijack the thread. Thanks.

Top Bottom