General Proper way to enter a hover from stop

bigone5500

I was thinking about taking my heli out for a bit but decided not to as I need to have it checked out after repairing it. While I was pondering flying it, it dawned on me that I may have a bad habit of going into a hover. In my simulator, I get the rotor spooled up to speed and at just over half way I can see the skids getting light. I then jump it up off the ground a couple feet (it seems like a couple) and then bring the throttle back down just a bit. I eventually enter hover but it seems so barbaric the way I do it.

Are you supposed to jump it up into hover or be smooth and ease it into position? I guess it probably doesn't matter but I was curious. Yes, I am a noobie...

Geena

Staff member
There is really no wrong, or right way to lift into a hover. Do it the way that makes it fun for you. For me, when I`m just at the local field, I`ll lift off gently into a hover....as to not scare the plankers ( too bad). But at an event, where I would be doing a demo flight, I usually get it light on the skids and pounce it into the air. Immediately going into my flight routine.

Tony

Staff member
If you were running the 3GX with 3.1, that is the way you have to do it but at only about a half spool up lol. Let it finish in the air. But as Geena says, there really isn't a wrong way to do it, just whatever you feel comfortable with.

Geena

Staff member
I completely forgot about the 3GX. Yes, if you don`t "pop" it off the ground after it spools up with a 3GX....you might experience the famous (infamous) right roll of death.

Top Bottom