Misc Prop sizes?

WyDiablo

Question guys (<<<still learning multi) What is meant by 10x4.5 and 8x4.5 or 8x5E? I know that the first number is prop lenght. But what are the last numbers? Would this be the thrust number or size? and how would I connect the right prop with the right motor Kv? Right now my DJI hexa has 1000Kv motors.

Thanks

RandyDSok

Props are designated by these two numbers, for instance 10 - 6. The first number is the prop's length, 10". The second number is the pitch or angle of the blades. The 6 represents the distance the propeller will move forward in one revolution, in this case 6".

The size prop you select for a motor will be determined by the amount of amps the motor can sustain... you don't want a prop that would "pull" more amps than the rated amps for the motor when the motor is at full throttle. Usually most motor specs will list the recommended prop size range that will give you an approximate size prop to select but you still need to verify that when you setup the motor and prop, that the amp's being pulled in static testing don't go over the rated amount for that motor.

WyDiablo

Thanks for that info. I was wondering what the last part of those numbers meant. So the lower the last numer the "Slower" the move forwrd?

- - - Updated - - -

Well this is my motor setup and specs.
Model: 2830-11
Motor size: 28*30mm
Shaft size: 3.17*45mm
Weight 52g
KV (rpm/v) 1000
Max power: 210w
Battery: 2-4Li-po
Prop: 10x7/8x4
Ri: 0.127

RandyDSok

You may want to dig into the specs more... the most important number is the amps and that isn't listed...

The wattage number you listed is irrelevant if you don't know what voltage they used to achieve it and even then the wattage is still only related to the specific prop they used since a bigger or smaller prop will achieve a different wattage also... As it is... the rated amperage will be about somewhere between 16-32a, but as I mentioned, you can't tell since you list only a portion of the info needed to calculate with.

RandyDSok

I was just giving you the info you needed to know and what you posted was incomplete in order to give you a starting place... I can't change what Ohm's law tells us or the fact that you don't have complete info needed to determine much for the motor you have.

With Ohm's law, if you have at least two values... you can calculate the other values... see http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp

Try seeing if you can find more on the web using an internet search... You will also need to know brand name since the model number you gave is generic.

Tony

Staff member
Just to throw in my $0.02, the "E" at the end of that means it's an electric prop and can't be sured on a nitro or gas engine. Everything else was covered by Randy.

WyDiablo

Yea I was wondering why some had the "E" after the number. But you guys explained every thing and now I have a little better understanding of the mutil rotor. These dang things don't seem as simple as the old T-rex heli's

Top Bottom