Quad Prop Selection

Karubah

I'm using 10x5 carbon fiber props on my quad and 4s 5000mah batteries with 900kv motors. this is giving me around 10 minutes flying with about 2 minutes of safety. My question is this, if I use 8x5 props will this give me a longer flying time or the other option I was thinking is if I use slow fly props? I have been doing a bit of research on this but I'm just getting more confused the more I read. From what I can gather I should be getting longer flight times using 4s 5000 mah batteries. :confusion:

Stambo

I use 1000kv motors and 8x4.5 SF props on my 450 quad with Simonk flashed ESCs.
I tried 9x4.5s and flight time was less as well as stability was worse.
I get around 10 minutes with some tired turnigy nanotech 4s 4500s.
They have been cycled about 4 to 5 times a week since I got them almost 12 months ago.
From memory when they were new I was getting 14 minutes with at least a minute reserve.

Last edited:

Tasajara

Going to an 8x4.5 may give you less flight if you are still carrying a 5000mAh battery. May not have enough prop to lift the weight. It would be something you would just have to test.
10x5 is a good match for 900kv motor. I use 8x4.5 on 1200kv motors and 9x5 on 1100kv motors. I get 6min carrying full FPV setup, GoPro and 2200mAh 3s and 8min with a 3000mAh 3s.
So your 10 min sounds pretty good to me. It all depends on what shape the props you are running now vs the other ones you were looking at. As in Slow Fly, 3 blade or 2, thin tip and so on.
Flashed esc's will in most cases give you a little longer flight times. Also if the prop has very little flex can make a big difference. Like carbon filled over a nylon only prop that will have deflection in flight.

Karubah

Just discovered that they sent me 2 different sized props in the kit. 9x5 and 10x5. No wonder its been hard to get this quad up to flying properly. I sent the dealer an email letting him know, wonder if I'll hear back?
Thanks for the replies gentlemen they give me a bit more info to chew on before making a decision on which direction I will take.

Tasajara

Dang... That will do it for sure... Geessss That sucks. Put the same size all the way around and you will have it made... much easier to fly I bet.

Karubah

heard back from the dealer. he apologised for the mix up and is sending me 2 complete sets 9x5 and 10x5 free of charge, so thats around $70 worth. Love it when you receive good customer service.:glee:

Stambo

heard back from the dealer. he apologised for the mix up and is sending me 2 complete sets 9x5 and 10x5 free of charge, so thats around $70 worth. Love it when you receive good customer service.:glee:

Good score. With service like that I think you should name the dealer, and anyone who shops there due to seeing it here should say "Hey I heard good things about you on the RCH forum".
I think we gotta support the guys that are worth supporting.

WyDiablo

I was using the ecal spreed sheet and punching in the data for my copter and everything looked bad. First they don't have my motors listed so I had to pick a different motor close to mine and then every props I selected was giving my a very low flight time on one battery. It did get some better using 2 batteries and it showed the best setup was on an AXI 2814 motor close to mine using 9"x5 props.

Top Bottom