Project X

Stambo

Is that one odd ESC i can see there?
If it is, this is not normally advisable.
Also see my post above regarding props and motor direction. :)
I hope you haven't tried to fly it like this, it may try and rotate with no yaw control, or if the motors are turning in the right direction not lift at all. :)

Graham Lawrie

Hi Stambo, I have not flown it as I do not have the CCW propellers for 5 & 6. the ESC are the same, just one is in clear wrap.

I spooled it up a little to check direction of rotation, man are those motors powerful:)

Await parts in the post:)

Stambo

Hi Stambo, I have not flown it as I do not have the CCW propellers for 5 & 6. the ESC are the same, just one is in clear wrap.

I spooled it up a little to check direction of rotation, man are those motors powerful:)

Await parts in the post:)

That's good, I was worried you might end up with a disaster on your hands.

What props are you getting?
I had been using plastic ones until recently.
I have had a few crashes that were a direct result of plastic ones breaking in flight.
Luckily over very long grass so no serious damage but I now use carbon fibre.
I see that you can now get carbon infused nylon that seem to be a good mid point although carbon fibre are getting cheaper.
Now I will use plastic only for setup and initial testing then switch to CF.

Graham Lawrie

Good to know:) as it is not mine I just bought what was on it, plastic. I will wait to see if it is set up ok and then possibly advise him to go CF:)Very impressed with the power of the HK outrunners:)

Stambo

I may join you on the Multiwii learning curve soon.
I have been trying to set one of mine up with MegapirateNG but not having a lot of success.
I might just flash it with Multiwii and see how that goes.
If I don't like it I can always go back.

Props make a huge difference to a quad, matching battery cell count and motor kv to prop size is a science in itself.
I found the 9" props I was using on 1100kv motors and 4s were to big, made it awful to fly.
Switched to 8x4.5 and made it heaps better.
Another thing that made a big difference was simonk flashed ESCs.
I am now running 1000kv propdrive motors still on 4s and 8x4.5 although I have not yet tried this combination on 9" props.

Another thing I have discovered when balancing props, I use the laser method with props in place, is before adding or removing weight if you rotate the prop 90 degrees at a time and try again you can often get it real close.

This video shows a small quad but works just as well with a larger one.

Balance V949 V959 V212 Blades with a Laser - YouTube

Top Bottom