Prop Project Rogue 3D Bipe

Tony

Staff member
Ever since I got into aeronautics, I have loved bi-planes. When I got into Rc, I knew I always wanted to own and fly a Bipe. But, I got into helicopters instead. When I sold all of my heli's and was in the process of purchasing my first plane, I had it narrowed down to two planes. I knew I didn't want a trainer for my first one (bad idea, but it's worked out for me) so I started looking at 3D planes.

In the process, price was a factor including all electronics. I knew I wanted something that was not small, but not large either. I had it narrowed down to the Ultimate Bipe, and the Edge 540T. Well you know who won out on that one. I'm happy with that decision, but it's time to put a Bipe in the air.

With that said, I went on the hunt looking for new planes. Thanks to Lewis, a member of C.O.R.C.S., I now own a 30" Bipe. It's not as large of a plane as I wanted, and it's pink, but I don't care, it's a Bipe lol.

Now this plane is comprised of replacement parts. Meaning the fuse was in one box, the wings were in another, and the tail feathers were in a third. Because of this, I'm missing all of the hardware like control horns, wheels and axles. Not a big deal though. Unlike Project Edge Mini, this plane came with plastic landing gears. I hate plastic, but I have an idea on that. I'm thinking about making a mold and making them out of fiberglass for a backup. But, that is a big maybe.

Like the Edge Mini, this plane is going to be powered by the Exceed 2215-1300 motor that is in the Extra and like the Edge, running a 30a ESC. The motor is pulling 27 amps according to the wattage on the page, but my motor in the Extra is coming down cool to the touch, so I'm thinking I'm no where near that rating. I should be safe with the 30a ESC.

This plane will be swinging an 11x5.5 prop, but I may need to go down to a 10x5 or even a 9x4.5, I will just have to check my ground clearance when I get the plane put together.

Because of the bad hinges on the Extra and one of the ailerons coming apart, I'm not taking any chances and I'm using new CA hinge material. The control horns on this plane are aluminum, and I really like them. I thought they were going to be gold, but they are raw aluminum. If I decide to get into anodizing, this will be a bonus and I will make them whatever color I want. But, that is a ways down the road.

One downside to this plane is the width of the fuse. It's quite narrow. Because of this, there is not a lot of room to stuff things in there like on the Edge or the Extra. The battery doesn't go in the canopy, it goes under the fuse in the front. This has me a little worried about CoG balance. I'm thinking a 2200mah 3s battery may be too heavy for this plane. Louis, if you are reading this, what battery did you use in yours?

I have already epoxied the two wings together, but I need to head to the hardware store and purchase a nylon bolt for the under side, and some blind nuts for the motor mount and the top wing mount.

Like with the Edge, I will either be running the AR6110(?) or an OrangeRx. I'm really thinking this one will get the OrangeRx since space is an issue.

All in all this is going to be a fun build. I just hope the maiden is as much fun. With 4 large ailerons, this thing should be very responsive. Below are the pics I took when I first purchased the planes. If you have any ideas on what to do with the plane, just let me know.

IMG_5043.jpgIMG_5042.jpgIMG_5041.jpgIMG_5040.jpgIMG_5039.jpgIMG_5038.jpgIMG_5037.jpgIMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5043.jpg

IMG_5042.jpg

IMG_5041.jpg

IMG_5040.jpg

IMG_5039.jpg

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_5037.jpg

IMG_5036.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Just like with the Edge 540 Mini, I have epoxied the horz stab into place and it's drying. Once it's dry, then I will glue in all of the hinges on all 4 ailerons, the rudder, and the elevator then epoxy the two elevators together. Once that is done, I will start installing the electronics. Will have to make a run to the hardware store for some blind nuts, wing bolt, and some long 4-40 bolts for axles. I ordered some axles that are HUGE lol. Way too big for this plane. Anything under about a 90" wing couldn't use these. I have two pair of them if you need a pair of large axles. My loss, your gain lol.

Tony

Staff member
Last night when I got home from work, I started working on this plane once more. All of the tail feathers are glued on as is the ailerons and the connector to connect the top and bottom ailerons together. Once that was done, I unscrewed the servos, put a drop of CA in the screw holes, put on the servo extensions and installed them for the last time. After that, I ran the linkage rods and installed the control horns. Once that was done, it was time to check direction. I plugged up an OrangeRx for testing, and everything was working great. That was until I found the issue with the elevator and the OrangeRx. To read about this issue, CLICK HERE.

At this time, the wing is not bolted on and I need to change out the Rx. The motor is installed but the ESC is not secured. I need to get online and find out where the CoG is supposed to be so I can place everything in the correct location. I think I'm going to make this plane just a little tail heavy so it will do 3D without me having to fight it. Should be a lot of fun once it's done.

I do have a large white area that needs something in it on each side. If anyone has any suggestions, post them up here.

Tony

Staff member
Well after going to bed at about 0200, I woke up at 0800, go figure... so I decided to make my coffee and start working on the Bipe. All I have left to do is cut the access hole in the cowl for battery placement, install velcro for the battery/Rx/ESC, and it will be ready to go. Oh, I do have to put the canopy on, but i'm just going to tape it on. If all goes well, I should have this plane in the air this weekend.

Tony

Staff member
Well I guess I'm the only one that is going to post in this thread lol.

I have finished installing the ESC, Canopy, Rx and the epoxy is drying on the custom tail wheel that I made. I didn't like the idea of just a simple wire sticking out the back to drag on, and wanted some steering, so I made it happen. The wind here right now is calm, but going out and flying on only a few hours of sleep is just not going to happen. Or it's not the greatest idea rather. It's been proven that lack of sleep is more dangerous than drinking lol.

So, the plane is together and ready to fly. Just need to load them up and head out to the flying field and make it happen. The 7 day is showing 15-25mph or higher however, so it may be a while...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
i might be asking your help tony to fix the LG on my p-51

this plane looks so good!!! 15-25 shouldn't affect it that much. :p :D heehee FLY MAN!

Tony

Staff member
15-25 does horrible things to a bipe. Not wind friendly lol. As for your P-51, create a thread and let me know what you need help with.

Tony

Staff member
Ain't that the truth lmao. I'm not no Louis lol. That dude took this plane and tossed it around the air like it was a rag doll lol. Hope mine flys half as good as his did.

Tony

Staff member
Don't have any video. The motor has only been run up twice lol. But it does look good sitting there on my living room floor with the Edge Mini lol.

Tony

Staff member
Well the plane is setup and ready for it's maiden flight. Today is quite windy but the wind is supposed to go down later this afternoon. Either way, I'm loading up all 4 planes and heading out there, flying or not.

There is an issue that I'm a little worried about with the bipe though. The thing is massively tail heavy. CoG is supposed to be 15-30mm back from the leading edge of the top wing, and it's sitting at about 2.5" back. No matter where I put the battery. So, either I need to add a crapton of weight to the nose (aprox 4oz from what I can figure) or put in a bigger motor. It can't be any longer, but if I can find a can that is bigger in Dia it should work. The problem is finding that motor. I would hate to have to add weight to the nose of this thing.

Either way, this plane is going up into the air today if the wind comes down. I don't know if I will get any video from the ground, but I will mount a camera to the top wing looking back. If it crashes, I'm only out $50 for the kit and I will use the electronics in another small plane. But seeing as I have wanted to get this plane in the air for over a year, I sure hope it goes up and stays up lol. Being as tail heavy as it is should make for some great 3d whether I mean it or not hahaha.

Top Bottom