General Project HK450GT

Dirk

Looking good! I just wish they can make the skids a little taller to keep the tail rotor out of the grass.

Tony

Staff member
There is a mod you can do to help with that. Just put 500 skids on the 450. It will raise it up quite a bit. Also, extending the tail fin helps as well.

Tony

Staff member
The other day I took the heli to work with me, the same day that I took the picture of the white skids, and I was going to put the stock main gear back on the helicopter. Unfortunately I found out that even the pinion that I was using before was a 3.17mm pinion and I"m running a 3mm shaft on my motor. so, with teh smaller teeth on teh gear, you get the sound of the heli as it was before where you can hear the motor wobbling the pinion against the main gear. In the end, I left the helical 121T main gear on there with the 11T pinion.

I need to find a motor with a 3.17mm shaft that I can put in this helicopter so that I can put the stock gears back on it. I have 4 of them and there is really no reason to have them sitting here just going to waste. Anyone have a motor with a 3.17mm shaft?

It is ready to go back into the air though with the new one way sleeve (main shaft sleeve). Just need the time to put it back in the air. Hopefully I can take 10 minutes out of my weekend to do just that. I have put new pitch settings into the head, but it may be too much for the motor. We will soon find out I guess lol.

PaulRC

Alright guys, here is the video with the new parts. The only noise this thing makes now is the auto to tail drive gear as posted above. I'm loving the sound of it. Now, with the bigger teeth of the 121T main gear, it's ready for more power. I have a motor on the way that I'm going ot test (have not used one before, they are pretty new) and if they work good, this one is getting a new motor/esc as well. It needs a LOT more power.

Finally I was able to get my fingers to work to bust off 3 flips with this bird. Tail blew out a bit on the first one, but the second and third one was pretty good. Need some more collective management to keep it at a steady altitude.

Here is the video!

HK450GT After Rebuild First Flips - YouTube

that's a nice heli, Tony, as for the gyro, I'd probably use a Quark. Everything else on it seems smooth.

Just a question. I use the standard main gears and pinion. What does the Helical gears do? Can you tell the difference in flight if you had a heli with standard gears and another heli with helical gears??

Tony

Staff member
The gyro is doing it's job perfectly. Remember, this is a flybar helicopter with an Assan GA250 gyro. The oscillation that it was doing was cause by loose radius arms and just an overall crap head being a clone.

the helical gears are larger per tooth and can handle more torque than the standard gears. On teh clone, with the motor that I have on it, I would not run anything other than teh helical gears. But on this one, I have put the stock gears back on and no, there is no difference. The helical gears are quieter, but performance wise on something this under powered, you don't notice any difference.

PaulRC

The gyro is doing it's job perfectly. Remember, this is a flybar helicopter with an Assan GA250 gyro. The oscillation that it was doing was cause by loose radius arms and just an overall crap head being a clone.

the helical gears are larger per tooth and can handle more torque than the standard gears. On teh clone, with the motor that I have on it, I would not run anything other than teh helical gears. But on this one, I have put the stock gears back on and no, there is no difference. The helical gears are quieter, but performance wise on something this under powered, you don't notice any difference.

thank you.

I should buy a set of helical gears and compare it with spur gears. And put it under vibration analysis.

Tony

Staff member
Spur gears? You mean on cars and trucks? If so, they are almost equal to the 16 pitch gears you find on nitros. When I was racing electrics, I always used 64 pitch gears. Talk about a pain to get teh mesh correct lmao. But man, they were perfectly round.

If you have a 400w motor or more, then I would suggest the helical gears. Below that, it's not worth it.

Top Bottom