450 Project Dominator

Tony

Staff member
You guys may have seen my post in the wanted section asking for parts for a 450L Dominator. Well, the time has come that I am going to start looking a little harder and try to get this guy in the air.

I am about 98% sure that most parts are compatible with the 450 Pro helicopters, such as the tail servo holder, screw kit, gears and so on. I know that the tail boom, TT shaft and some other components are 450L specific though.

I will tell you this, I'm having one hell of a time finding all of the parts through one supplier and I'm sure I'm going to have to split it up between different ones, including eBay. Speaking of eBay, I think I'm going to cheap out on some of the parts and order clone parts. These are not parts that really matter (like the tail support rods, fins, and so on) so I feel safe using them. This is just to keep costs down on this build.

I really want to get it in the air since the frame is sitting at my house. I know it's only a 360 size helicopter so not much different than the standard 450, but I still want to get it going lol.

So if any of you have parts for this bird, please let me know before I spend an assload of money on brand new parts. Hell, even if you had a horrible crash and had to rekit, there are still parts on your crashed bird that I could use such as bearings, screws, ESC mount, battery trays and so on. Just let me know what you have. I'm looking for extras as well.

Tony

Staff member
I think this project may be dead before I even get started. I just priced everything out that I need to complete the FRAME ONLY, and I'm sitting at $130+ without electronics. That is almost the same price as a brand new kit. That is disappointing.

Smoggie

Might be worth looking at the Gartt 450L or HK Assault 450L (same heli both made by Gartt).. You can get a complete airframe kit for about $90 then make up a hybrid using the clone parts as necessary?

Tony

Staff member
I thought about that. But some of the parts that I need wont' fit. Like the tail blade links, they are different on mine. Also the tail servo mount. Align uses the white plastic in the frame to take up the extra space from the 'Pro' frame mount whereas the clone is wide enough to go from frame rail to frame rail. But I may just do this. I will have to think on it though.

Tony

Staff member
Just got my $20 links in so that I could put the DFC head on the dom. What sucks is, they sent me the old (T) version and not the new (A) version. And when I screwed the plastic ends onto the arm, with very little force I could just pull it straight off. Complete waste of time and money. I'm about done with Align

LOL, my first Align build has me thinking the same thing. I'll have enough parts to buid or rebuild a couples times.

Post a picture of what you need, I probably have it.

It's 7am here in AZ, I'm gonna go fly my Blade, hopefully be able to position my phone to take some video.

Frankenheli gets here today :D

I went out this morning and had a good flight pack. I was doing some piros and just basic flight getting used to it.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
The part I need is part # H45165A, they sent me H45165T. T is the old design. Bait and switch is what they did. It's the arms that go from the grips to the swash. And the plastic ends that go with it.

And I have stuck with Align for years. But it has become apparent that all they are doing is copying everyone else. First, they stole the DFC from Compass. Now they are stealing the tail belt design from SAB as well as their head design, going back to FBL and not DFC. They are sellout's and if they keep it up, they will go under. Hell, they can't make electronics worth a crap...

Top Bottom