450 Project: Align 450 Returnith.

Tony

Staff member
i'm sure by now, you have heard that I have my 450 back. It took about a year and a half, but it's back in my hands. so now the real work begins on it. And I need your help in deciding what to do.

The first question is, what gyro should I stick on this thing first? Remember, the Ikon is for the 600, but I would be more than happy to stick it on the 450 for some testing. But I also have the AR7200BX and multiple 3GX's that I can stick on this helicopter as well. I will be going through all of the gyros and doing a comparison, but I want to know what gyro to do first?

Next, what videos would you like to see out of this helicopter? It's much smaller than the 600, and I can fly this in smaller areas. It goes without saying, I need to get my helicopter fingers back, but I will get there. So post up your ideas on what videos you would like to see with this helicopter. They can be anything, not just flying, or gyro setups. Anything.

The helicopter is going to need a new canopy, Any ideas? Should I go back stock, or should I custom paint something if/when I can get some paint?

If you have other ideas for this helicopter that I have not listed, post them up. It's time to start flying again, and I need ideas.

murankar

Staff member
Personally I would pit the ikon on the 450 to learn the setup process and to test the gov. It would be cheaper if you have an an uh oh.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
Can't test the gov on the 450. 1, there is no need for a gov on a 450 and 2, I don't have the brushless motor converter. Gov setup is pretty easy though. I'm just wanting to test all 3 so I can get a feel for the 3 to give better opinions. Only other way I can do it is to get two more helicopters... :scratchchin: :thinkerg:

murankar

Staff member
Then just do the gyro. Figure it out before putting it on the 600. The 600 still has that one nagging issue with the engine. At least wit the 450 you can iron out any issues you may run across. Then again a lot people are saying that it is super easy to set up.

Tony

Staff member
Issue with the engine? What issue? If there is an issue with the engine, I have another one sitting here ready to go in.

murankar

Staff member
I thought you had put the original engine back in it and that thing you said was about toast.

Tony

Staff member
It's hurt. Not from being over heated or worn out, but from the previous owner not knowing his butt from a hole in the ground. It's running strong so I'm keeping it in there.

Tony

Staff member
I have 3 of them myself lmao. I don't think I need a 4th, and I DAMN SURE don't want yours hahahahaha.

murankar

Staff member
I think it's time to move past the 3gx. I think this is the one thing align failed on. I bet China could clone a better version of it.

This whole time I thought that the engine wad about dead. I guess if it still wants to kick then let it.

How bout boring it out and resleaving it. I know cash is short. Just another passing thought.

Tony

Staff member
I could purchase another piston and sleeve, but the compression on this thing is still great. the piston ring is a little worse for wear, but again, if I find issues, thanks to Gaba, I have another OS55HZ-H sitting here that is perfect.

As for the 3GX, yeah, I'm already selling one of them to Derek with my other 450 Pro, so that will leave me two. One of which works. The other, has busted pots on it. Might just keep this one to test out new firmware versions. Only time will tell though. Ikon may just change my mind lmao. But, the BX has done it's fare share already...

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I have completely taken this helicopter apart, and I'm trying to run teh wires where I had them before. I remember the clearances were VERY tight, but I was able to get it and I didn't have to run the ESC wire below the motor plate. I just can't remember how I did it. I watched the video I made on this helicopter (#8 if you want to see it) and I know where I run the ESC wires, but that's about it lol.

I have also decided to stick the 3GX in there since I already had one that was on a mount. All I had to do was stick it up into the frame and start running wires. I do remember the wiring alone taking a couple hours to complete. Guess I have a weekend project...

Tony

Staff member
Forgot to add, thanks to another post on here, I have removed the 11T pinion and put the 12T pinion on the helicopter. This will give me a little more head speed. We will find out when I put it in the air if it was worth it. If it survives that is. I may crash thing thing on take off. lmao. Going to start out with 4.0 on the 3GX.

Tony

Staff member
Nah, not really. The problem with 4.0 is in the tail. cyclic wise, 4.0 is fantastic! On the 600, which is really the only one that I tested it on, when you did a quick movement from tail in to nose right or left, it would bounce right back to tail in with no input. It's like the gyro is not keeping the new heading that was given to it.

The biggest thing is, it's stable on the ground so you can let it spool up on the ground, then lift into the air. I might just see what I can do to stabilize the tail if there is in fact anything I can do.

Why in the hell does the 7200bx and the ikon have to be so much wider than the 3GX... Annoying...

Tony

Staff member
Crap... You know, the more I think about it with all of the work that I have to do to get teh wires nice and neat for the 3GX, I think I'm going to do one of the other two gyros first. Both the ikon and 7200bx have to be mounted on the top of the helicopter, whereas the 3GX can be mounted under the main shaft where a gyro is supposed to go. so yeah, I'm thinking 7200 first, get to know the helicopter, then the ikon, get to know the gyro, then the 3GX because it's going to piss me off to no end if I can't get it to fly with the 3GX lmao. That tail is making me mad and there has to be a work around for it...

Tony

Staff member
Yeah... I couldn't afford this one and members got together to purchase this for RCH for xmas. Not going to be able to get another one.

Top Bottom