General Problem with trex 450 plus DFC swashplate tilting hard right before half throttle

klbielby

For starters great site and its nice to see so many people willing to help us that are just starting out in this fun but extremely frustrating hobby.

I am new to the hobby and forums so I hope I am giving enough info and in the right way. I think that my swash in level and that my servo arms are set correctly and I think I have the blade tracking correct. I am using the Align T6 and have the swash set to H-1 like the manual says but when I throttle up before I get to half stick the swash plate tilts all the way to the right. The T-6 came pre programed with 2 set ups one has channels 1-4 rev and 5 and 6 normal, the other one has channel 3 rev all others normal and it does the same thing with both of them. This is of course after crashing due to operator head space and had to replace main blades and main gear. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks

Tony

Staff member
You say this happened after a crash? Have you double checked the servo gears?

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the T-6. Never had one in my hands.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yep my suspect would be one servo stripped its gears or something. Easy way to check, just move the arm with your hand all the way to ends and feel for notchiness or skipping gear. Do this on all three servos.

klbielby

I was going to open up the servo to check it but the do not open sticker to protect your rights made me hesitate but I will do that. over the last 2 days i have read most of the threads pertaining to the 450 heli's and i just got done reading one with what sounds like the same issue after a crash and that was one of the things he had not checked yet either. Thank you and this site is something you should be extremely proud of and the world would be a much better place if there were more people like yourself

klbielby

I can barely move the aileron servo at all so looks like that would be my problem and i am pretty impressed with only having to replace the blades, main gear and one servo after hitting the ground as hard as i did, not bad since it was almost at full throttle. Thanks again for your help cant wait to get the parts and get it in the air. Its only been off the ground twice and each time was for less then ten seconds and then invested in a flight simulator and a Blade Nano cp x which have both been great teachers as well. That Nano takes a licking and keeps on ticking even had to pull it out of a lake twice and both times servos were still running and it went right back up in the air and never even had a problem and both times it was completely under water for about 3-4 min. Thanks again don't know what i would have done if i had not found your site.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
You might want to double check the main/feather shaft. If you hit the ground hard at full throttle then they might be bent, sometimes they are not noticeable until you spool up the heli.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Best way to check the feathering shaft is to hold the two blade grip control arms touching each other (after disconnecting the arms coming from swash) and rotating the feathering shaft using a screw driver. If the control arms start to walk back and forth even by a teeeny weeny amount, feathering shaft needs replacement. Works on all size helis. Beats having to roll it on glass

Slobberdog

Best way to check the feathering shaft is to hold the two blade grip control arms touching each other (after disconnecting the arms coming from swash) and rotating the feathering shaft using a screw driver. If the control arms start to walk back and forth even by a teeeny weeny amount, feathering shaft needs replacement. Works on all size helis. Beats having to roll it on glass

that such a great way to see Gaba, so much easier than taking it apart each time.

klbielby

That was something I did check but the hard way, I took it apart and rolled it on glass. I just got my new servo installed and went through the setup and everything and thought I had it right but something is off. I have training gear on it that I made from fiberglass rod. Made an X taped in the middle and then zip tied on al four corners of the skids so its almost impossible to tip over. But when throttling up it is sliding left at a good rate and it looks like the swash plate tries making some pretty extreme moves and dips full right and a little bit forward. I did a good amount of research and read a lot of posts when I was trying to decide what heli to get and most people were saying that a 450 was great to learn on and were more stable and now that trex had a RTF version even better. I think a RTF version is not for someone who is just getting into this hobby and here is why. someone who is just starting out like myself will never get a 450 into the air for very long before having a pretty hard crash. Now you have to replace parts and the manual has no information on how to do any of that and since you did not build it then you have no idea where you should put thread lock when putting it all back together. Well I decided I would double check the blade tracking and was laying on my garage floor and had the throttle at about 15-20% and that's when I learned that thread lock should definitely be used on the feathering shaft. I heard I loud bang and when I looked around I found the blades with the ball links still attached on opposite sides of the garage. I got lucky and only got slightly nicked on the arm by one of the blades but pretty scary it sounded like a gun shot. I think I will take a break on my 450 and enjoy my nano cpx for a few days since I just replaced the frame, skids and main shaft. Wish I had everything on video that thing has been through it would be quite a show it even has tried to be a submarine twice for about 4 min each time and still flies great

Top Bottom