Pre-flight checks a MUST-DO

i went out this morn at 07:00am to do a bit of flying, but whilst checking the heli before take off i discovered this:-

just shows eh.... a MUST-DO, so I stripped the head cleaned all the screws and lock tighted them all back in, now i cant fly till tomorrow whilst locktite holds.

but i brought the heli home in one piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucky find Tony :)

Absolutely Lee, so I didn't get to try any new tx settings....lol

- - - Updated - - -

I think this CopterX head is cheap rubbish though, next time I have a crash I think I'll go for the Tarot head, or something of better quality

Tony

Staff member
If you are not crashing, then just stick the Align DFC head on there. Get the DFC swash as well. It's an investment, but it's worth it!

danhampson

+1 for the align head. When I first got into this hobby I bought a copterx 450 se kit and it was a pile of rubbish compared to the align 450 pro v2. I found that with the copterx kit the hardware was made out of chocolate.
There may have been some grease on the screw or in the screw hole that may have caused the locktight not to adhere.
Dont get me wrong the copterx kit was 10x better that a hobbyking kit but the align was 10x better again.
Glad you found the loose screw in your pre flight checks you have averted a possible crash.

Happy flying

If you are not crashing, then just stick the Align DFC head on there. Get the DFC swash as well. It's an investment, but it's worth it!

I'm not crashing yet Tony, fingers crossed, this FBL is much easier to fly than when it was FB, but I'm definitely going to get rid of this head, I'll take your advice and invest in the align one..

I've also got some crappy cheap analog servos on the cyclic too so they will come off for digital ones.

Thanks for the info

- - - Updated - - -

+1 for the align head. When I first got into this hobby I bought a copterx 450 se kit and it was a pile of rubbish compared to the align 450 pro v2. I found that with the copterx kit the hardware was made out of chocolate.
There may have been some grease on the screw or in the screw hole that may have caused the locktight not to adhere.
Dont get me wrong the copterx kit was 10x better that a hobbyking kit but the align was 10x better again.
Glad you found the loose screw in your pre flight checks you have averted a possible crash.

Happy flying

Made out of chocolate.... Haha, I like that, this Copterx head is really poor quality, but I didn't want to spend a fortune on a head and servos to have me crashing all the time....

I'm going to keep this setup for a couple of weeks, get some practice in, then I'll get the new head and swash and servos..

It's a massive buzz flying as you know, can't get enough of it...

Thanks Dan

Derek

Well done, on the preflight check, Tony!!! Glad you found the issue before something bad happened. I'm sure, by now, you've got it all tightened up and ready to go.

danhampson

have a look at the tarot fbl heads you can get them on ebay for £20 they are the non dfc head they take a crash a bit better and the parts (feathering shaft, dampeners, bearings ect) are align compatible. i have a tarot 450 pro kit ive used for spares and projects and the quality seemed as good as align.

Dig the Homer Tony...haha..

Yes she's all ready to go Derek, can't wait, I'm thinking of going now actually, the morning is toooooo long away...lol

Hey Dan, I've seen that Tarot head around eBay etc, it could be an intermediate between the Copterx rubbish and the align dfc.... Take a crash... That could be handy... Lol

Thanks for all your advice guys, appreciated

Graham Lawrie

+1 on Dan. My 450 has flown that well I never had spare parts:) I have worn them out and I have flown it a lot without changing till now. One thing Align eventually got right:)

+1 on Dan. My 450 has flown that well I never had spare parts:) I have worn them out and I have flown it a lot without changing till now. One thing Align eventually got right:)

Where did you get your tarot head from Graham, nobody in uk seems to sell the genuine tarot part..

wolfman76

+1 with tony on that one i have the align dfc head and swash combo on my hk500gt and it was the best investment for the heli very solid assembly

- - - Updated - - -

i would clean as much of those clones parts that are metal where loctite is needed with brake cleaner especially alll thread holes let dry then loctite the should'nt have anymore issues of loosening for sure

concept30

nice eye you got there, pre checks is always good after a crash, I try bring everything with me in my Flight Box to the field, so i dont have to drive back to the house to get parts if I need them.

+1 with tony on that one i have the align dfc head and swash combo on my hk500gt and it was the best investment for the heli very solid assembly

- - - Updated - - -

i would clean as much of those clones parts that are metal where loctite is needed with brake cleaner especially alll thread holes let dry then loctite the should'nt have anymore issues of loosening for sure

That's a good idea Kyle, I'll invest in some cleaner, currently I use a small wire brush for the bolts, but that is obviously no good for the holes...thanks for the tip.

- - - Updated - - -

nice eye you got there, pre checks is always good after a crash, I try bring everything with me in my Flight Box to the field, so i dont have to drive back to the house to get parts if I need them.

You have to keep a sharp eye out Dustin, lol... That tool box the heli was sitting on is full of every tool I need, but because it needed locktiting I couldn't do it on site, I always like to leave the locktite at least 12 hours, prefer 24, but sometimes my lack of patience gets the better of me...lol

Top Bottom