Servos plastic or metal servo gear

gaurdian

I'm way new at this heli thing I got a blade 450 3d I have 40 hover flights and getting comfy and ready to move out of my comfy zone and practice moving around allot more witch turns out to more repairing....I've stripped a servo I think the heli just moved by it self and did a flip upside down right in the ground a servo was buzzing like crazy...and was thinking about metal gears servo... but was thinking at this early of a stage I'm at in my learning curve and I have a bunch more crash's coming up is it better to strip a plastic gears and just keep replacing the gear or would metal gear last longer and do more damage to the heli on every crash? so go metal gear's? or just stay with the plastic?

Tony

Staff member
Not only would I put metal gear in the cyclic servos, but I would also definitely go digital as well. My servo of choice is the Align DS415 with a DS425 tail. There are newer servos out there, I just can't remember the numbers right now.

Admiral

I found on my Blade 400 an upgrade to HiTec MG Servos and a better Gyro GY780 made it a great helicopter, any good quality MG servo will improve it out of site.

murankar

Staff member
It really depends on how much you want to spend.

I really love the servos I have which are about the same specs as the servos Tony mentioned. Savox makes the align servos and why Savox cost more not sure. If you really want to put a hurtin on your wallet then try MKS. Futaba makes a great servo not sure which model is for a 450 sized heli. HyTech and corona also make servos. I think Tony had the Coronas once and hated them.

As for metal versus plastic that's something you need to figure out. Plastic is cheaper but break and have some degree of slop when new. Slop gets worse as you use them. Metal are more expensive up front but they don't strip as easy and have less play. Personally I would go metal digital.

My servos are listed in my Sig. They are not the newest but they work.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

gaurdian

well had to go along with what tony said about the Align DS415 with a DS425 tail got them I'll try them out in a few days if this wind ever stops....being a newbie at heli flying in the wind is not my friend right now as I found out really fast the other day almost had a stoke right there and then when the wind picked up fast and my bird did to about 40 feet or so highest I been and gave me a fright....

Derek

Yep....it is definitely spooky when the gusts come and the heli rises, or jumps, without warning. I remember that feeling, too. It's been awfully windy here, too, lately. I'd really like a calmer day to dial in the gains on my 450. It may just come to be getting some batteries charged up and hopefully I can find a pocket full of confidence and just go fly.

I wish ya the best of luck buddy!!!

gaurdian

ok an up date on my servo I put the tail servo on my blade 450 3d I'm using a jr 370 3d gyro with a new DS425 and man it's nice and tight stops on a dime and tracks great and straight...the only thing I don't like is it has a wobble not much maybe a half inch back and forth I changed my setting from 57 on down at 5% each time tell I got to 30 and nothing changes still a wobble not enough to worry about since I'm still learning to fly and it holds allot better than my e flite servo and gyro ...but wondering if this is normal or not?

Top Bottom