500 Plastic coating on wooden blades

Walt

Is it ok to fly my Raptor 50 without the plastic coating on the blades? It started to peel off in flight and I am going to remove it. Should I spray some clear coat on them or just go for it? I have a new set of carbon blades for it but not ready to put them on.

Tony

Staff member
If anything started to peel or crack on blades, I would NOT use them. Remember, these things are spinning at 3000+ rpm and the centrifugal force is quite a lot. If a blade comes off and hits you, it can hurt, severely injure or even, if in the right spot, kill you because of the inertia of the blades. I would replace them ASAP.

Stambo

If anything started to peel or crack on blades, I would NOT use them. Remember, these things are spinning at 3000+ rpm and the centrifugal force is quite a lot. If a blade comes off and hits you, it can hurt, severely injure or even, if in the right spot, kill you because of the inertia of the blades. I would replace them ASAP.

Agree totally, search youtube for RC helicopter injuries, you will be horrified at what you find.
Either use the carbon blades or buy some others.
How would you feel if you injured someone or worse for the sake of a few dollars.

Top Bottom