General Plane tip stalling

Derek

If a plane tip stalls....is there a way to correct something on the plane to prevent the tip stalls? Or is it just a matter of correct speeds being maintained while turning?

Tony

Staff member
Well, you must keep your speed up in turns, or a plane will tip stall. However, you can balance the plane side to side to help with it. Make sure both wings are straight and so on.

Lee

If its a scratch build, try reducing the wings profile towards the tip, or put in some twist to reduce the angle of attack as the wing extends away from the fuse.

Derek

If its a scratch build, try reducing the wings profile towards the tip, or put in some twist to reduce the angle of attack as the wing extends away from the fuse.

Well, i'm not sure that I would know how to put a twist in to reduce the angle of attach...but..you said something about reducing the wings profile towards the tip. What do you mean? Are you talking about having less thickness towards the tip?

Lee

Yes, a thinner profile towards the tip will reduce the amount of lift created, therefore reduce the chances of it stalling. You could add some twist, by placing something under the tip, like a small wooden block, as you glue it. Once set the twist should stay there. It would only need to be subtle.

Tony

Staff member
What Lee is referring to is called "Washout". Basically when the plane slows down, the tips of the wings will lose lift first before the root of the wing. This makes a very predictable stall and as he stated, will help with tip stalling. But, you have to get them perfect on each side for them to work correctly. Something around 2-3º is plenty. And when he said glue it in, when you do the kfm airfoil, you will just put the twist in there (I would go 4º) and glue it down, the twist will stay in there. With 4º, you will lose some of that and it should be perfect. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom