General Plane help!

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
P4170004.jpg

Couldn't pass this up for 40 bucks. this will be my boys first plane. I am just not sure what make/model it is. I would like to get some parts but I am in the dark right now. any ideas on upgrades for this bird...it also feels nose heavy, is this normal.

P4170004.jpg

Tony

Staff member
The cowl and canopy looks to be from the F4U corsair. But there is no gull wing that makes the F4U what it is. Looks almost like spitfire wings. What does the motor say?

Lee

It does seem to have a bit of a kink Tony, if you look at the shadow, it's more visible. But not as much as you would expect for a F4U. The motor looks to be Brushed from what i can see.

Tony

Staff member
I'm thinking it may have been an F4U and they tried to straighten the wing out thinking it would help the flight characteristics.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
P4170006.jpgP4170008.jpgP4170014.jpg

More Pic's. All I need is to put my receiver on and charge the batt's and then see how she fly's.

- - - Updated - - -

P4170006.jpgP4170008.jpgP4170014.jpg

More Pic's. All I need is to put my receiver on and charge the batt's and then see how she fly's.

you fellas are right, I saw a few pics online and it might be a F4U-1A. new wing goes for about 36 bucks at A Main

P4170006.jpg

P4170008.jpg

P4170014.jpg

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Got it fellas...The owner actually remembered..its a "HELLCAT F6F". Now to figure out where these servo goes on the receiver and what can I do to get away from the nose heavy. any ideas?

Lee

If you cannot move the electronic or battery back to adjust the CG then you can add a small lead weight to the tail to counter balance it.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
If you cannot move the electronic or battery back to adjust the CG then you can add a small lead weight to the tail to counter balance it.

Thanks lee..How much of a weight difference should it be? Shall most of the weight be on the wings?

Lee

You need to balance the plane on the wings about 1/3rd of the way back from the leading edge, upside down to find the CG. If you don't have anything to balance it on, you can use two fingers to hold it up at these points as well.
Remember its better to be nose heavy than tail heavy. So always start to fly a little nose heavy. Nose heavy will just give you a steeper glide angle and it will come into land a little faster, Tail heavy will more often than not cause you to crash.

Derek

Tail heavy will definitely cause you to crash, lol....my first three RC scratch build attempts came out tail heavy but I flew, or attempted to fly, them anyway. It's amazing how difficult they were to maneuver. As far as any kind of landing....well, it was a very swift and sudden landing....meaning full blown crash with parts busted and broken.

The moral of the story.....tail heavy just sucks!!! lol

DatHeliGuy

Im not sure what other people have put because my computer doesn't let me read them at the moment because it keeps crashing but any model plane will be nose heavy because of the engine or motor and the cowl. All planes need the weight to be towards the nose and to have a plane flying a little nose heavy and not having the palne flying tail heavy with the tail always down you should be ok if the CnG is not way off. If this palne falls through i would strongly recomend the Criss Foss Wot 4 Foam-E because its a high wing which glides and its foam. Hope this helps Tom.:joyous:

Top Bottom