General Pitch help

treff

Probably the most asked question. I have tried to set up the pitch. I have followed all the instructions from Tony's and others videos but I have run into a problem. I have set servo arms to 90 degrees when in IU mode and 50% throttle but the pitch gauge is off the scale over 35% at mid stick and the swash seems to be very high in fact servos are beginning to stall at full thrttle. All the push rods are measured correct so I am obviously doing something silly or missing the obvious. Any help would be most appreciated. Cheers

Westy

LEGEND
hi there,

What heli is it?
Make sure you have a Linear pitch curve ..... 0, 25, 50, 75, 100 in IU ... at mid stick if your swash is too high.... first carefully move your stick to full ... if it is smacking the headstock ... you need to reduce the swash PIT value until is stops banging its head.

once you have that ... try and see what you have at mid stick. Does your swash look about in the middle of the sliding range on the mainshaft?...

treff

Thanks Westy. The pitch set up is linear as you suggest but I think there is something amiss elsewhere because at mid stick in IU I have 35 degrees of pitch. The heli is HK450 GT pro2. I have missed or done something wrong and I just can not see where the problem lies at the moment. Cheers

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
have you got your main gear mounted? have you got your collar on the main shaft in the correct spot?

you may have something upside down.

Show us some pics

treff

Cheers WestyHead.jpg Added one picture I hope that helps some. Getting late here and I'm getting tired. Can't see the wood for the trees. I have obviously made a mistake somewhere but I can't see anything except the swash looks on the high side and the arms are not level. Thanks for looking.

Head.jpg

Westy

LEGEND
you know what it looks like to me????

those head block arms are way ... too high! try disconnecting the 2 long links that are coming off the head stock and see how far you need to shorten those steel links as those 2 arms need to be level also with everything else.....

and the swash looks like it needs to come down about 2 to 3 turns on all 3 servo links to level out the washout base

Should look Like this
zero pitch.JPG

zero pitch.JPG

Last edited:
Hey Treff,
I have the same helicopter, and am hoping to do a rebuild on my head and following each of Westy's and Tony's vids to get it set up. I'll try and get some photos as I do it. Hopefully it will help get yours going. I agree with Westy though, the long arms from swash to head look waaay to long... I'd be reducing those down by quite a lot from what I'm seeing.

pvolcko

I almost want to pick up a cheap flybar machine to try my hand at setting one up. They look like fun! Looks like swash and mixing arm block need to come down some. THat will get the mixing arms level and help get those long links lower so the blades will even out.

Lee

Start at the bottom.
Your washout arms are not horizontal. As the links (the blue in my picture) are nonadjustable the only way to get them level is to lower the swashplate.
Once you've done that, you can shorten those long link to get the upper arms level too.
Then that hopefully should give you 0º at mid stick if all is right.

attachment.php

Sweet words again Lee!! that will help me do that... just fixed up my tail and that is next on my list, swash is level so now to finalise the head

treff

Many thanks to all for the help and info. What I think I have been doing is working from the wrong Align heli drawing so I will put all suggestions into practice. Has any one got the right dimensions for this heli head pushrods it will help enormously? Thanks again. So near yet so far away from a first flight.

treff

Thanks Tony. I have one of them but I have a different helicopter. I will have a look at the other 2. If not it will be trial and error LOL Cheers

Ok i'm going to continue this thread as it may help Treff as well.
I've levelled my swash, and have started working up the head. I was off to do what Lee said and level off my washout arms.
In order to do it, I'll have to drop the swash a little bit, but if I do that, I would think I'll not have enough downward movement in my swash, well at least I think so.
I'll have a look at it tomorrow about to head out to dinner for the wife's birthday.
Oh and Treff, I believe the manual you will be after is the sport V2 for this one.

No worries Treff.
Happy to try and help where I can.
Thanks she really enjoyed dinner and was a nice surprise for her.
Hope you managed to get the right manual for your helicopter. I'll try and post some pics of mine tomorrow and here's hoping that we're on the right track and can get our birds maidened soon!

treff

Update on my pitch problem.........Well spotted Guys. You were all spot on with the info. All the pushrods on the head were way off. The 2 longer ones measures 46mm and should be 43.5mm centre to centre and the swash rods measured 36mm and should be 31.5mm centre to centre. That's on the GT PRo variation. The last heli the rods were spot on and I assumed these would be also. Big mistake on my part but you guys spotted the error immediately very good work indeed especially when you consider me starring at the thing for hours and seeing nothing wrong. I also found the swash guide screw had stripped so great to have found that also. Thanks again to the very good friendly people on this site who have a wealth of great info. Just got to pop the head back on and whooooooow! Cheers

treff

Just one little caveat after adjusting all the pushrods to correct lengths. I now have 6degrees positive pitch at midstick with IU on. I think that is only a matter of adjusting the 2 long push rods to get 0 pitch and the ajusting the swash up and down to get 10 degrees up and down. Again many thanks for all the help.

treff

Yes, fiddler on the roof. I just hope that when I adjust to get zero pitch I do not arrive back at the same position I started from LOL. I do think this bird will be flying in a couple of days, given time and weather of course and still very optimistic, this is going to be a very good helicopter to learn on. All in all I have enjoyed building this helicopter more than the first. The first one is partially rebuilt just need to send for a couple of spare parts like new head, tail boom and a couple of other thing LOL..............or I could buy a 500.......chuckle, chuckle............I've certainly got enough servos......chuckle

Top Bottom