General Pitch Gauge

Harford

I am currently using an Align digit pitch gauge but am concerned about inconsistent readings, on one of my old fly barred helis.
Could be simply my inadequacies with head set up, but does someone have a view on the most effective pitch set up tool ?

Many thanks

Admiral

How are you making sure the swash stays level ? I used an spirit level that I could hook onto the Flybar, there are/were clips that you could bar to lock the head in place.

Harford

Tks yr reply. I have made sure the swash plate is level, ie head off, swash levelling tool in place. I have made up a device attached to the head to keep the flybar level throughout the process. Inconsistent readings from the Align digital gauge though

fran11784

Goblin 380 Supporter
Ive heard many people talk about that Align gauge not being accurate. I have one and it never seems to zero in on one number. RC Logger is decent or a spirit as mentioned. I started using a bevel box and they are the most accurate imo. Kind of like a spirit gauge....

Eggy 71

The accuracy of any type of level can be determined fairly easily. Pick any surface (blade, top of motor, even a table top) and make sure it is securely fixed. Level is not necessary. Take a reading and then move the gauge 180 degrees. The reading should be exactly negative. If the numbers aren't the same then the accuracy is half the difference. + 1.5 deg one way and - 1.9 the other way indicates actual slope of 1.7 degrees and an inaccuracy of .2 deg. Confirm the test by doing it again at approx 90 deg to the first set of tests.

Harford

Thanks for this. The result first test -0.0 then move 180 degrees +0.8. Second test +0.2 and then +0.6

Admiral

Never tried that test before, my RC-Logger has -/+ 0 on pitch and +/- 0.05 on roll, as I don't normally use the roll measurement close enough for me.
I'm lucky enough to have a kitchen bench top that is absolutely level but in my previous house I wasn't so lucky so I built an adjustable board that could provide a perfectly level surface that was listed by Murankar years ago.

General - my newest tool for setup

Eggy 71

Thanks for this. The result first test -0.0 then move 180 degrees +0.8. Second test +0.2 and then +0.6
Definitely seems a little weird. Are you sure what you are measuring is rock solid? The first reading makes sense. The second one has me scratching my head. In the first direction try shimming the object to .4 deg ( couple pieces of paper) and recalibrate level to zero. If it's still more than .1 deg off then something isn't working right in the level.

Harford

I used a desk top which my spirit level suggests is almost level, but not perfectly level. I will do the test on another perfectly level surface.

Eggy 71

Level isn't as important as solid. As long as it doesn't move, recalibration will reset zero to what you are actually measuring. It's the difference in readings that tells the amount of accuracy and whether the gauge is functioning properly or not. I notice recalibrating often improves accuracy quite a bit.

Harford

I have just done this again, both the 180 test and then the 90 test, using a different surface (kitchen bench). Very little variation this time, both test 0.0 degrees and -0.2 so guess it is not a gauge issue, just the operator. I have to suspect it is about calibrating the gauge prior to mounting on the blades (which are perpendicular to the heli).

Tony

Staff member
I always calibrate my pitch gauge every time I use it. I set the helicopter facing nose in to me and I put the pitch gauge across the top of the frame. This should be exactly perpendicular to the main shaft.

Harford

In my case, as I am doing this on a flybarred heli, the instructions say to calibrate it by lining up with a level flybar.

murankar

Staff member
Depending on what your trying to do I might be able to help.

I personally use the Rc Logger 2 Pitchguage set. I dont think it is sold any more. You could get a Soko Heli tool, the best option.

When I level the swash the first thing I do is disconnect the links to the grip arms. I let them fall where they may. For your pitch gauge you will need the blades on for this, Attach the gauge as close to the root as you can while the gauge is still on the full width of the cord.

If you have a spirit level use that to find a level surface to zero out your pitch gauge.

Take readings at 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock and 9 o'clock. What you want to do is get readings at those points and group the readings as sucj: 12 and 6; 9 and 3. you will need to shim the skids so that the grouped readings are the same. This will make the main shaft plum.

You will need to do the next steps with a plum main shaft and with the swash at mid stick for 0 degrees pitch.

Once your main shaft is plum reconnect the links. Now line up the pitch link to a blade to a servo link on the swash. Look at the reading, that should be close to zero degrees, then rotate to the next servo link, take a reading, finally rotate to the last servo link. Hopefully you took readings to see how far off the swash is from level. The hard part will be tinkering with the mechanical setup and the settings in the radio to get the level. Always work the mechanical stuff first.

If this is to hard to follow just say so I will try and put together a video. Or you can look for the Soko heli tool videos (the older videos with the original heli tool). He explains how to do this part very well on a goblin.

Harford

Thank you very much for this. I do have a Soko Heli tool and have tried the process using the phone app. I can't say I am completely on top of this yet but I have not watched any videos so I will take your advice and search for them. Thank you again

murankar

Staff member
The videos are made by soko. So you are getting the info directly. The soko is a heat tool for set up.

Top Bottom