500 Pitch Confirmation

Derek

Hi Tony!

I was looking at my 500 today and I noticed, with the ESC disconnected from the motor of course, that the way my 500 is set up, I have more negative pitch set than postive pitch. I dunno if that makes sense, so here is how I noticed it.

With the heli powered up and the throttle stick centered, I raise the throttle stick and see the blades rotate "X" amount. Take the throttle stick back to center, then lower the throttle stick and I can see the blades rotate in the opposite direction, but they rotate so much more.

Would you, or anyone else, know of a link or YouTube video that I can look at so that I can recheck my blade pitch? I'm not doing any flying, yet, that requires negative pitch but I thought it was odd that my 500 would have more negative pitch rotation than positive pitch rotation.

Any ideas?

zenmetsu

I think Tony has a video on the complete setup of a CCPM helicopter online. I will have to dig up the links.

Do you have a pitch gauge? If so, with the stick at middle, you should be seeing zero pitch on the blades, assuming that your transmitter has the correct pitch curves.

If you have too much negative pitch at 50%, and your transmitter pitch curve is correct, then likely each of the 3 links from your cyclic servos will need to be lengthened a few turns until you do see zero pitch and a level swash plate (assuming you have a swash plate leveling tool).

murankar

Staff member
You should be checking the pitch with zero trim. Sub trim could be off, just make sure the linkages are 90 degrees to the servo arms.

Tony

Staff member
I will be doing yet another video on this getting more indepth than I normally do. I have had to type up how to completely setup a head about a dozen times (not trashing anyone, chill ;)), and I cant' find any of them to copy them. So I think I will do a fully dedicated video on just setting the correct pitch no matter what your Tx, Rx, or gyro if using a 3GX.

However, we need to know if you have a pitch gauge? If you do, set your pitch curve so you are at 50% at mid stick and put your Tx to mid stick. What is your pitch on the blades? Should be 0º. If it's not, then make it 0. As stated, your servo arms should be 90º to the links, NOT THE SERVO BODY. Once you have 90º, DON'T TOUCH THE TX! Put your pitch gauge on the blade and look at what your pitch is at mid stick. If it's 0, then check full positive and then full negative. If they are the same, you are set.

If you have more negative than positive, then your swash is too low. If you have more positive than you do negative, then your swash it too high. Use ONLY the swash links going to the servos to raise or lower the swash. Go one turn at a time until you get perfect pitch both positive and negative.

As you are doing this and each time you make a swash adjustment, You will have to adjust the blade grip links to go back to 0º pitch at mid stick. ONLY THEN will you check positive and negative again. It takes a while to get it right, but it's worth it.

If you don't have a pitch gauge, GET ONE. It's a must have tool for any CCPM heli owner. Hope this helps.

Lee

Glad you got there before me Tony :D Typing long explanations is not my strong point :D

Tony

Staff member
I made a sticky about this in the helicopter beginner help area as well as an article under "Helpful Articles" in the articles section. Now, we can just link it :biggrin1:

Derek

Yes, I have a pitch gauge. Unfortunately, I have to work tonight and tomorrow night, 12 hours each, but I'll follow your instructions this weekend for sure.

Thanks alot!!!

Top Bottom