General Pitch and throttle curves for beginner

Some of you guys know my 450 is now up and flying pretty good, I want to ask about these throttle and pitch curves for a beginner

When my heli was flybarred I used to do some small 10 feet or so Auto-rotations to land, I was getting quite good at it. Now I have the bird FBL I need to know what curves to use

My current curves are

Normal flight mode

Throttle 0,40,65,65,65
Pitch 40,45,50,75,100
Hold 0,0,0,0,0

Idle up flight mode, this is really a second flight mode. Absolutely NO 3D...lol, too scary at the moment

Throttle 75,75,75,75,75
Pitch is the same as normal. I want to get used to the higher speeds first.
Hold is linear 0 to 100

If I'm in IU with the above settings and hit throttle hold at about 10 feet will I be able to still bring the heli down gently using positive collective?

It looks logical, but I don't want to try it without asking you guys..

Thanks

Tony

Staff member
Since you are not flying inverted or anything, then your pitch curve is fine on the IU setting.

Since you are not flying inverted or anything, then your pitch curve is fine on the IU setting.

Yes good, I need to keep IU pitch the same as norm incase I forget and plough the thing into the ground with loads of negative, then it's goodbye heli again...lol

Thanks Bro

Lee

Where it says. "hold is linear"
Are you talking about Throttle or Pitch?
Throttle should be 0 across the board.

Ok cool.
But why have normal curve for flying and linear for hold?

This was my original question with these settings. Will I be able to still do auto-rotations with these curve settings..

So if I'm in idle up I want to be able to kill the throttle with throttle hold but still have collective to bring her down gently..

Tony

Staff member
You will need full negative for autos. If you get in a situation where your blades stop, full negative is about the only way to get those blades spinning again. But, if you are going to do that, you might as well have linear in IU as well. That way, if you are flying and the motor burns up or something and you still have servo control, you don't have to hit TH to get a good auto. You can just do it. For this reason, I use a linear curve on all of my settings. Hell, Lee has IU throttle curves on all of his settings. Dangerous as all hell, but it works for him.

And I know you are saying this because it's a last ditch effort, but you really need to practice autos on a sim, a lot, before trying it outside.

If my pitch curves on hold are 0-100 won't that give me 50% negative and 50% positive?

I'm pretty good on the phoenix sim doing most things with a heli, especially auto's....I just take it up high, hit throttle hold, then give a little negative collective, come down with forward momentum, and about 10 - 15 feet before the ground give it positive to slow it down with some back elevator to a nice landing...

Tony

Staff member
No that will give you full range. Your positive will not change. But your negative will now go to the equal pitch that you have on positive if you have your head setup correctly.

No that will give you full range. Your positive will not change. But your negative will now go to the equal pitch that you have on positive if you have your head setup correctly.

the head is setup to give +12.1 and -11.8, best i could get. this was done in the Kbar software when i had pitch set to 0 - 100.

maybe i should wait till i have more experience to setup the curves properly and try idle up....lmao

i just wanted to be able to do autos from about 10 feet, i done them when it was FB...

thanks Tony

murankar

Staff member
Thats how my throttle.hold us set up. 0 for throttle and linier pitch curve. This is what makes it possible to auto and help you with setup while hold is on.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Thats how my throttle.hold us set up. 0 for throttle and linier pitch curve. This is what makes it possible to auto and help you with setup while hold is on.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

thats the way mine is at the moment Matthius, im a bit confused that this isnt going to work though....!!!! i guess the only thing to do is try it

Tony

Staff member
I never said it wasn't going to work. It will work just fine. What I was saying is if you are in IU, with your pitch curve the way it is now, and your motor dies but you still have control over the servos, you will not have negative pitch to keep those blades turning.

I never said it wasn't going to work. It will work just fine. What I was saying is if you are in IU, with your pitch curve the way it is now, and your motor dies but you still have control over the servos, you will not have negative pitch to keep those blades turning.

Sorry Tony, I was getting a bit confused, it's easy when ya an old buga.... Haha

Yes I see now, so if motor dies in IU basically the pitch is useless as is for autos, (yes I understand this).... but If I flick throttle hold I'll still have servo control and my current "Hold" pitch curve is full linear giving me neg and pos collective to auto rotate safely..

Am I getting this right Tony...??... Lol

Tony

Staff member
That is correct. What I was getting at before is if you have a failure in IU, more than likely you will be giving all of your attention to getting the helicopter back and you will not flip it into TH. So in this case, you would need the linear curve in IU to help.

Lee

Yes. When you flick TH you will still have the ability to change pitch.
The reason why I asked why they were different, is because in an emergency, you probably don't want something to change dramatically.
So If you have the pitch set to Norm in flight mode and full linear in Throttle Hold, the chances are in a panic, you are going to slam it into the ground with all that extra negative pitch you are not use to.

I would set them to either both full linear, or both Norm pitch mode.
Advantages of Linear.
You are getting use to the way it should be set up properly. Just make sure to practice flicking from Norm to IU1 with some attitude.
Then if something doesn't feel right, you can switch back.
Advantages of Norm in both.
Its what you are use to, no chance of slamming it in. At your level, you are not very high, so needing full negative for autos, isn't going to be a concern.
-2º is plenty to bring it down from 15/20ft.

My suggestion is put them to linear on both,
Take the heli a bit higher,
Just practice switching quickly between the two modes, to get use to the switch position. If its in a hover, nothing much should happen.
Your pitch will be the same, and you throttle will only be 10% more.

Top Bottom