450 Pinion for trex450L 3cell with 360 blades

Erfan

Hi guys

The T450L 3 cell version has the 325 blades, little weaker servos and 12 teeth pinion.
The 6 cell version has 360 blades, stronger servos and 11 teeth pinion.

I have the 3 cell version with the stronger servos (430m) and 360 blades.

So the blades are to big for the 3 cell (fast full pitch and it bogs a bit) but I have heard that changing pinion would make the 360 blades doable on 3 cell setup.

Anybody knows which pinion is needed?

Tony

Staff member
I would drop to an 11 and give it a shot there. If it's still bogging, you can do a 10, but keep an eye on it. The sidewalls of the 10 are pretty thin.

Erfan

Thx Tony, I will give the 11 teeth a try and see how it feels, hopefully that will be enough.

Tony

Staff member
Just make sure to fly for about two minutes and land to check the temp of your motor and ESC. If they are hot to the touch, then you need to lower the pinion. If not, then you are right where you need to be. Same goes with the 12 and 10 as well.

Erfan

I think I have the 12 pinion today (need to check when I get home), it does not get hot at all, it gets a little warm but not hot.

But it does "bog" a bit when doing full up pitch, that's why I thought that perhaps a pinion change would help it a bit.

But nothing gets hot, not the motor, esc or batteries, they only get little warm and that is after at least 4min flying with around 85% power (small v-shaped throttle curve).

Tony

Staff member
Try running a more steep throttle curve. Something like 100 90 80 90 100. That should help take care of the bog a bit.

Lowering your pinion will help with the bog as well, but you will reduce your head speed slightly as well.

murankar

Staff member
I have run my Gaui X3 on a Scorpion HKII 2221-8 motor with 360 mm blades on 11T and it (if I remembered correctly) did just fine for sport flying. My packs are Pulse Ultra 2250mAh at 35C (advertised) discharge rate. I am now on 325mm blades and the only thing I changed was the pinion to a 10T. My head speed is at a great spot for me and I pull 7 minute flight times doing light flying. This setup should get you into big air 3d/sport flying and with good stick management you should be able to still fly the not out of it. Now if you run the newer 3S 25mm series motors from scorpion the this setup would be rock solid on 360mm blades.

murankar

Staff member
just by going to a 2200 mAh pack you will see about 1.5 minute in crease in flight time, going with the packs i have I was averaging about 5.5 minutes with the 11T pinion running around 3300 head speed. On my 10T I have about 2600 (average) head speed on a governor (castle creations esc with low timing for my motor). One last detail, my airframe as is with pack installed I am over weight at around 1009 grams. My setup is heavy for this air frame. If you can get around 800 grams with packs your doing great.

Top Bottom