Other Phoenix Sim Mini DIN cable adapter - DIY Instructions

bigone5500

I wanted to create a thread dedicated to getting your Tx connected to the cable that comes with Phoenix sim. I am sure this will pertain to all Tx that have the mini din trainer port. I have an Eflite Tx which has a 4 pin Mini DIN connector on the back. I needed to get this connected to the USB cable that comes with Phoenix. The USB cable has a 1/8" stereo audio plug and requires an adapter to connect to the Tx. You can purchase one or make one yourself easily. You will need a 4 pin min din cable, a 1/8 stereo audio jack, some small heat shrink tubing, and tape. You can use any 1/8 plug but those that have larger wires will be easier to solder unlike headphone types. You can see in the pinout of the din connector there are pins 1 -4. The metal shield is actually connected to ground or pin 2. The colors of the wires in my cable are as follows: Red, Black, Brown, Orange, and bare (shield). They are 1- 4 respectively less the bare conductor. The 1/8 jack has 3 conductors. The colors may vary with mfg. The end of the plug is labeled: Tip, Ring, and Sleeve starting from the tip going inward. The tip conductor will connect to pin 3 on the din cable, ring to pin 2, and the sleeve to pin 1 (ground). Be sure to strip the wires long enough to allow short lengths of heat shrink to be slipped onto the wires before soldering. After soldering, slide the heat shrink onto the joint and use the tip of the soldering iron to shrink it. You can either use tape to cover the small wires or use a length of heat shrink large enough to slip over the whole splice. This will need to be installed before you solder. I recommend heat shrink with adhesive inside as it will hold onto the splice and prevent any slippage.

My wires on the din cable and the stereo plug were identical which, luckily for me, worked the first time. So I'm sharing this in hopes that someone else may benefit.

Mini DIN pinout:
600px-MiniDIN-4_Connector_Pinout.svg.png

1/8" stereo audio plug pinout:
trs_plug_pinout.png

bigone5500

I probably should have stated that this is assuming you have a mini din cable. I got mine from various audio equipment. You could check your local thrift shops.

Top Bottom