Paulster2's Maiden Voyage Video

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Hehe ... You'll like the peewee section. She just wouldn't shut up, but she did help keep the camera on target :biggrin1: You just gotta love kids!

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-wY_Qq6-DWo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tony

Staff member
Hahahahahaha, I have not laughed that hard in a while. Did you pee a little when it spooled up? lmao. By the sounds of it, you had the throttle stick all the way up and it put the esc in setup mode. Also, I will bet one of the knobs are not set correctly. Looks like you need more pitch.

Also, be sure to keep that tail towards you. That way, on the right stick, forward is forward, right is right, and so on. If you go nose in, forward is backwards, left is right and so on. so, keep that tail towards you, and spend lots of time on the sim and practice hovering. We will move onto other stuff later.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
That's all I was trying for was a hover and we didn't even get close to it. During the "attempt" I was at full throttle on the stick. I don't think it even sounded like it was at full throttle, though. If you were wondering what the deal was with my commentary about what "Tony told me not to do" ... it was because I had the two top switches backwards (the ones on top ... at least I think they were. Need to go back and watch the video ONE MORE TIME).

Tony

Staff member
top left will be towards you, top right away from you. The top right one is your idle up, or "happy switch". did you watch the video I uploaded today?

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I wanted to have a try at the heli before it got dark out, so it was on the back burner. I'll take a looksee right now :biggrin1:

Lee

Paul i dont know if its your radio set up or your thumbs, but you need to start the rotors up much slower. Whats the throttle curve? Do you just push the stick up fast? Give it very little stick, just to get the blades moving and allow it to gain momentum before adding more power? And as Tony says, keep the tail towards you. It the first priority before the thing leaves the ground. If its moving then dont even bother to try taking off until its fixed solid tail in. Oh and yes i almost pee'd myself as you jumped backwards LOL

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Paul i dont know if its your radio set up or your thumbs, but you need to start the rotors up much slower. Whats the throttle curve? Do you just push the stick up fast? Give it very little stick, just to get the blades moving and allow it to gain momentum before adding more power? And as Tony says, keep the tail towards you. It the first priority before the thing leaves the ground. If its moving then dont even bother to try taking off until its fixed solid tail in. Oh and yes i almost pee'd myself as you jumped backwards LOL

The reason it went into hypersonic mode right off the bat was that the switches were in the wrong position. As Tony put it, the "Happy" switch was set wrong which ran the rotor up to 85% (or there abouts) when it actually started spinning. I was sitting there wondering why nothing was happening, then all heck broke loose. Yes, I about peed myself, lol! Once I got the switches into the right positions, I don't think it was spooling up correctly (going to full power). If I can, I'm going to try it again today. There are a couple of changes I'm thinking I need to make, but will talk to Tony before I do them.

Paul you are more fun to watch than Tony :lol:

72mhz? That's a dinosaur of a radio :)

I'm glad I could be entertaining :respekt: As for the radio, I have a 2.4 from HobbyKing on the way, but would bet it's taking the slow boat from China (literally) to get here :chuckles: I couldn't afford a DX6i quite yet, so opted for one of their models.

HAHAHAHA Run for the Hills,,,,Paulster2,
That was rather funny to watch, guess the Pitch is quite correct and also I would as the others have said check your Tail setup too :)

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
dude this was awesome! and funny! lol
lol the spool up was great too!!! :p :D

After all the commentary on how funny this was, I guess I'll have to send it to America's Funniest and see if they will give me money for it, lol! I think the daughter will be there with me from now on to do her own little commentary and to guide the camera. She seems to come in quite handy some times :chuckles:

Top Bottom