Projects Parkzone Typhoon 3D Project rebuild

Derek

Alright...I'm calling on the help of RCH.

My sisters boyfriend has saved a Parkzone Typhoon 3D plane from the trash. He knows a guy that was just going to toss this plane out. He grabbed it and brought it to me and asked if the electronics could be replaced and maybe have this plane take flight again.

The replacement Parkzone motor is an inrunner motor with a pinion that turns another gear that turns the prop shaft. He's wanting to get a brushless motor. The inrunner is shown here:

ParkZone: Brushless Motor with Pinion: 3D/2 (PKZ4116)

I went to Hobby King and the spec for the Typhoon 3D are very similar to the HK MX2 3D plane here:

Hobbyking MX2 3D EPP 955mm ARF (US Warehouse)

The Typhoon is EPO foam and the MX2 is EPP. I can't imagine that there is a huge different in weight between the two.

The motor on the MX2 is suggested to be a 2217 950-1100KV Brushless outrunner. The US Warehouse currently has a very comparable motor but it's on backorder. I have a spare D2836/8 1100kv motor. I have this same motor on my biplane. Would the spare D2836/8 1100kv motor be sufficient or would any of you have a better suggestion? Preferably from Hobby King because I have another planned order coming up and I'd like to order his parts at the same time.

I could really use your help here. We're not looking for a "speed demon". We just need a motor that that will help this plane perform once again.

Thanks everyone!!!

murankar

Staff member
If you plan on using a brushless outrunner don't for get their esc also.

Are the servos and rx n good shape?

How's the airframe look?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

The rx is actually a 72mhz rx, so it won't do us any good at all, considering that he does have the DX6i. The plane does have all 4 servos. We put them on a servo tester and got nothing from them at all. The airframe itself, although a little dusty, is in very very good condition. It looks very flyable. This plane will need all new electronics. We have the servos picked out.

The battery compartment looks to fit a 3S 1000mah-1300mah lipo and still have room for the new Spektrum AR400 rx. We just need some help choosing an appropriate motor and esc. I imagine we are going with a Turnigy Plush esc. I have several Plush esc's and they are all still working perfectly..and I have the programming card for the Plush esc's.

murankar

Staff member
Re read your post. Sounds like it has a gear box for the prop. Do you plan on using it in a gear box?

That may change your motor size and kv.
Or would you modify it to a direct drive prop?

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

Yeah, we are changing it out and discarding the gearbox motor. It's a shame it doesn't work. it's kinda cool looking. I've not used a motor like that before. Because of the length of the original motor and gearbox, we are adding a thin plywood firewall and we are going to build out the motor mount so that the motor and propeller sit properly with the original cowl.

Last edited:

Derek

I just wanted to bump this thread before I go to work. Please check out post number 1.

Derek

hmmmm, no one has any thoughts. Bummer! I'm kinda struggling on actually "choosing" a motor that would work well with this plane.

Derek

I just wanted to add some info about this plane that may help us find a suitable brushless outrunner motor for this plane.

According to the Parkzone website, the model has an estimated weight of 26oz (737 grams).

The Parkzone RTF actually comes with two propellers:
13.5x7 for Speed
12x8.75 for 3D/aerobatics

Tony

Staff member
Put your 1100kv on it and try it out if it will fit. That will give you a start anyway.

Derek

Well, I found some other planes on some other websites that are of similar size and weight. I didnt find much in the way of the same motors but I have written down the motor specs and we have the 1100kv motor that I have as a spare but we also now have options of a 950kv and 1000kv motor. All three motors will be fine with a 40amp esc.

Now we just have to wait for my sisters boyfriend to come over next Monday and we'll do some ordering.

Tony

Staff member
No reason to do some ordering, just mock up everything, make sure everything works, and take it out for a flight to see if it's under powered. If it's not, great. If it is, then you know you need more wattage.

Derek

Well, what I meant by "doing some ordering" was we'll be ordering the esc and servos. :twothumbsup:

Top Bottom