1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

P.i.d. Tuning Explained

By Tony, Dec 8, 2016 | |
< P.I.D. Tuning Explained | P.I.D. Tuning Explained >
  1. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    Tony submitted a new Article:

P.i.d. Tuning Explained

Read more about this article here...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. sneezy007

sneezy007 Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Geophysical Technician (Retired)
    Home Page:
    Great article Tony.

3. Tony

Blog Posts:
    Thanks you sir!

4. sneezy007

sneezy007 Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Home Page:
    This is all new to me and you explained PID very well.

5. Tony

Blog Posts:
    PID can be a very confusing setup process. I always start with P then go to I and finally D. Just remember, D can and will burn out your ESC's if you set it too high, so only go as high as you need to go.

6. FlyByKnight22

FlyByKnight22 New Member

Blog Posts:
    Master Chief United States Navy (retired)
    Tony,

I’m glad you have decided, for whatever reason to touch upon “PID” tuning.

Most forums I have been on don’t talk much in depth about the underlying electronic theory/history that makes our planes and quads, behave and work the way they do.

Like surfing the web we open a browser, push a track ball or mouse button and just expect things to work without appreciating or fully understanding the immense complexity of the binary, octal, hexadecimal numbering systems, routing algorithms, digital electronics, cable/fiber optic medium, WiFi and satellites involved, that make the world wide IP network function.

It used to be said: “Engineers delightfully design the thing but it’s the Technicians in the field, those that work in the real world, involved with the man power/manning and the hardware in general, that have to make the DANG THING WORK!” :)

That’s kind of how I see us, the “technicians” that have to make it “WORK”.

Most folks just want to hook up a battery and fly. It doesn’t generally matter to them how it does what it does, as long as it works the way it should. With most of my store bought quads I have a tendency to be this way. After all, they’ve already been built and in many cases Pre-tuned to fly as advertised.

PID tuning “generally” doesn’t become a factor (at least not for me) until you build one from scratch, with a wide variety of components that you have to try and optimize to get it flying the way you want it too. This is when I think it becomes “generally” more important to understand, at least at a more fundamental level, how this technology basically works.

PID Control systems have been around for a long time.

Many years ago I went to a 26-week maintenance course at the Navy’s Fleet Anti-Submarine Warfare Training Center Atlantic (FLTASWTRACENLANT) in Key West Florida.

I was there for several years taking various sonar/electronic maintenance courses but in this one particular class I was taught the theory behind it and how to repair, adjust, maintain and operate an underwater fire control computer system, that used trigonometric functions from various inputs, to predict future target position and to remotely control and program a missile launching system/mount, stabilized for pitch and roll, to effectively place a weapon on that target at various ranges.

As you might imagine, the computer system had to account for many factors in order to correctly command/move the remote launching system in elevation and bearing, program the weapon itself prior to release/launch, in order to get a good firing “solution” to hit the target.

The underwater fire control computer system was state of the art for its day but even then it was a hybrid of digital/analog components and gearing systems, filled with syncros, servos, resolvers, motors, encoders, decoders and amplifiers. Error signals, dampening and feedback loops were used extensively throughout the system.

This in many ways sounds reminiscent and somewhat similar to the toys we play with today and perhaps answers the question as to why I participate and enjoy the RC sport.

Much of the electronics behind how this works is defined primarily with mathematics but that is beyond the scope of what we need or what you are attempting to do here and is really unnecessary unless you are the man,..
    “that wants to know everything” :)

If you are still awake, I said all that to say this:

This is kind of where I see your article on PID tuning. I think it fits just right where it needs to, to get us thinking more about how to get started in tuning our DIY and store bought quads.

Thank you again for your thoughtful, reasoned and well targeted article.

Best Regards,
    Dennie

7. Tony

Blog Posts:
    That was one hell of a post, that's for sure lmao. And thank you for taking the time to tell us all of that. I try my best to put things in a term that everyone can understand. Those that have a fantastic grasp on the concept will think it's too "dumbed down" but those that have never had to deal with them and need to wrap their head around what each thing does, hopefully it is just right to help them to understand it.

FlyByKnight22 likes this.
  8. sneezy007

sneezy007 Active Member

Blog Posts:
    Home Page:
    Tony your explanations are always very easy to understand.

Thanks,
    Dino

< P.I.D. Tuning Explained | P.I.D. Tuning Explained >