Batteries Over Charged Cell

RMB677

After using a 3S, 950 mAh, 25-50C LiPo battery I went to charge it. After about 2 min. on the charger I get an error message "Over Charged Cell". Checking the individual cell voltages they all read about the same: 3.84V, 3.84V, 3.85V. Is this an indication of a bad battery or is my charger screwed up? I'll be charging a 2200 mAh battery later today and I'll see if I have the same problem.

Tony

Staff member
.01v is not over charged. Hell, that is pretty good actually. If the pack is not puffed, hook it back up and try it again. I'm thinking the charger was having "it's time of the month" and just wanted to bitch a little. If it keeps doing it, and the voltage is still that close, then I would look into a new charger.

Westy

LEGEND
only time I have seen that is when I sellected the incorrect voltage and overrode the self check Lol .... came up with that error. I simply turned it off and started again... all good

RMB677

Charged a different battery later in the day, yesterday, and the charger worked fine. As to the subject battery being puffed I'm not sure what is meant by puffed. The battery does have a bit of "give", maybe 1/8". Is that considered puffed? My thinking is that it would be very visibly bulged out when bad.

Tried one more time this morning and all worked well. I guess I might have done the same as Westy and hit a wrong setting. Thanks for your input guys. Still like to know what is considered puffed.

Tony

Staff member
Lets see how I can explain this. Have you ever put a piece of chicken in the fridge in a ziplock bag and removed all fo the air out of it that you could? Then a week later you notice that there is some air in it, but no one opened it? Same with Lipo. A little air under the packing is normal, not really good, but normal for a battery that is used frequently. But excessive air or bulging would mean the cell is bad and is shorting out. It should be put into saltwater immediately to discharge it further after running the battery down as far as you can with a motor.

Westy

LEGEND
Puffed is a PC way of saying .... She be fat man! ...... needless to day ... you will definately know when this happens haha

Top Bottom