600 OS MAX 50 SX on TRex 600

carl

Hopefully a easy question and one that doesn't sound too stupid... I am replacing the ' cooling fan' on the OS MAX 50 and after taking it off, the fan, and the back plate collar..I notice there is a 'key way' but no key in there, and I didn't drop it, didn't loose it...so does it need to be there or does it matter? Wouldn't be difficult to make and I know how, if it needs one, should it be made of steel or aluminum? thanks again for everyone's help, I need as much as I can get, it seems, as I get older. Blessings to one and to all, As Always, I Remain...

carl

I mentioned that I am old..seems my friends have been trying to get me into the 17th Century for a while, BUT I keep trying....(* My computer is filled with Grimlins and they really don't like me much, cost me 700 dollars the last time they told me to " HIT A KEY"... ) OK I tried....

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I didn't cut that crankshaft either.... * Just Sayin'

- - - Updated - - -

Blessings, As Always, I Remain...

20131004_073612.jpg

20131004_073628.jpg

20131004_073639.jpg

20131004_073705.jpg

20131004_074814.jpg

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Yes That is a key that used to be used. But Not used usually now. Its all a friction fit. I dont think you need to worry about this.

Is this installed in a heli ? and have you cut the crank shaft? (looks like it)

this engine was made for planes, and runs hot in helis usually.. so I was windering if this is in a plane or a heli. In a heli you usually dont need (depending on the model) that prop adapter.. That is a prop adapter.. usually.. USUALLY.. the fan and clutch just sit on there with a bolt .. But if you have been flying it, you know its been working.. Just wondering what bird this is..

as far as that key is concerned, please dont worry about that :)

UPDATE: I looked at the pics again, I saw a bigger heat sink, so I am guessing it is just an older model heli engine.. May be.. The one I am familiar with (for a heli is OS 50 SX H (blue head heat sink)) .. BUT that doesnt change anything I said above :)

Is this a 32 engine by any chance ? lol :p

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Like Gaba stated, most heli's now days use a cone washer with a flat washer against the bearing. the cone will crush down holding everything to the crank. If you have to use that spacer, then yes, you will need the crank key. But if you have the cone washer, you will not have to use a key.

carl

As I said I am old and most everything I have is old as well, this engine is a OS MAZ 50 SX and is in my Jet Ranger ( JR mechanics ) flies good for what it is...problem happened when the 'fan' committed Harry Karry....and poof it was gone , have a new fan now and was just wondering about the key..so I kinda know..not sure what a cone washer is but the 'fan spacer' ( Picture with the matching key way ) was on there and it ran fine, it doesn't seem to be any type of pressed fit, just came off too easy for that, but the nut holding everything together was really tight, so I'm guess that it was friction that kept it from spinning the crank inside the fan....I really do thank everyone for the answers and advice. Blessings, As Always, I Remain....

- - - Updated - - -

Someone beside me cut the crank already, (* I would have cut it straight, and will before I put her back together )

20131004_105126.jpg

20131004_105111.jpg

20131004_105018.jpg

20131004_105008.jpg

pvolcko

I like that Jet Ranger heli. Very cool. Get that motor fixed and post some video of it in action! :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
You don't need that key even with that prop washer. All planes fly without that washer on much bigger and torquy engines.

Definitely like that jet ranger!! Wanna see it Fly!!

Tony

Staff member
It he doesn't use that key, then there is no way he is going ot lock everything to the crank and it's going ot put unneeded stress on the front bearing. Just my thoughts.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
It he doesn't use that key, then there is no way he is going ot lock everything to the crank and it's going ot put unneeded stress on the front bearing. Just my thoughts.

Not saying you add wrong, example of my old mechanics (kinetic 50) there wasn't any cone (like align or vibe) to "press fit the fan on the shaft.

If he has the key, great, but just taking from the experience of my old kinetic 50.. They had a fan literally sitting on the clutch bolted down and held just by friction fit.. And I never had a slip.

Now the design wasn't exactly like his (as he is having to use a prop washer) .. So I may be wrong ... Lol

carl

Thanks guys, to everyone that took a moment to had suggestions, I'm always open to anything that can help. I made a key out of brass stock, took a while to get it right, guess my thoughts are " There is a key way there for some reason" even thought there wasn't one on the engine not sure if that was made the fan explode or not..or out of balance or grimlins.. I did get her back together..locktight blue on most everything and let her sit over nite. Cranked her, and hovered a little, still scares me. I hate breaking stuff or things that go bump in the Knight. Blessings again and keep the skids pointed down.... Have a Great SonDay, As Always, I Remain...

carl

just wanted to say again, Thanks to everyone ..I have got the engine back in, runs fine, made a key, just to be safe, and am trying to get her back together and all the lights working...will post some pictures as soon as I get some, thanks and Blessings, As Always, I Remain...

Top Bottom