General One Way Bearings - DO NOT USE GREASE

Tony

Staff member
What it is is grease that has friction modifiers in it. It lubes the part, but still allows the bearings to clamp to the shaft. Hard to explain, but man if you ever put grease or regular oil on an OWB, you know never to do that again lmao.

leedude1

So you go with the Hudy different grease you linked earlier then. I'll see if I can find it here in the great white north.

Smoggie

I always grease my OWBs with standard grease, same stuff I use everywhere. I have only ever had trouble with a OWB on a single occasion on a Trex 600 Pro (which are well known for weak OWB's). And even in that case the OWB itself was ok, it was actually spinning in the housing so grease had nothing to do with it, Loctiting the bearing in fixed that one.

Personally I think the 'dont grease thing' is something of an 'urban legend' in the RC heli community that has no sound basis in fact. I would rather take my lead from what the manufacturers of the bearings say rather than 'some guy on a forum'.

The actual manufacturers of sprag/trapped roller clutches specifically recommend the use of standard lithium grease:
Sprag clutches: Installation Guide for Sprag Type Free-Wheel Clutches | GMN Bearings
Trapped roller clutches: Installing Roller Ramp Clutches | GMN Bearings

Here's a pdf from Renold (one of the world's leading bearing manufacturers) on their freewheel clutches, again greases are listed as acceptable lubricants (page 51): http://www.renold.com/media/2068912/COMPLETE-SPRAG-TRAPPED-ROLLER-CATALOGUE.pdf

The only thing to watch according to the manufacturers is not to use molybdendisulfite or graphite impregnated grease as this might make the clutch slip (not jam). Oils are ok too but if using oil you would need to re-oil the bearing regularly because the oil quickly runs out, especially so if you use a thin oil line ATF. A grease is a far better option for bearings that dont operate in an oil bath. this isn't just me saying it, it's the guys who make the things.

Of course if someone has different experience, fair enough, but I'll take some convincing that grease doesnt work because, manufacturers recommendations aside, it's worked for me for years without a single issue on a large range of helis.

murankar

Staff member
So let's first clarify this. Westy has not been on the forum in years, this thread is 4 years old. In the last four years we have learned that lube is king.

Next in the case of lube, there is a lube for every application on a model. Motors should have scorpion motor oil or something similar, the shafts should be oiled every flying session, bearings should be oiled every 10 to 15 flights with the correct oil.

As for the one way bearing. If it comes from a high quality kit then there should already be grease packed into it. Unless you "wash" it out with oil over time it should be good. If one happens to use oil in there it's not the end of the world. Just make sure you re pack grease in there.

Tony's suggestion on using owb grease comes from his rc race car days. So he suggested a very specific grease due to his trust in the product.

If anyone is wondering about the basics of lube listen to RCHN's episode on lube. The whole show is on lube and how it should be done.

At the end of the day no body on this forum or any other forum is breaking down a heli every 10 to 15 flights to oil every bearing. It's ludicrous to think anybody does. Hell I don't think anybody but the 10%ers even oil their motor bearings regularly (10 to 15 flights).

My goblin is on the same owb since the crash, I have never guessed it or even took it apart. I bet the grease is still in there. Why because I am a 99%er. Just like everyone else on here. I don't fly enough to have to worry about it.

If your a weekend pilot like me then doing a lube pm at the end of the flying season should fine.

Top Bottom