450 One frustration per night!

Lambar

I was unable to remove a stripped screw and had to break it in order to remove the frame. What's on the attached photo is the little that was left inside. Can this still be removed in order to save the lower metal bearing motor, or does it require outright replacement? If possible, what should I try? Thanks, luiz

image.jpg

Slobberdog

bit small to cut a grove in, I would probably take the whole mount out heat the part with the screw to try and help break the bond of the threadlock then maybe you will be able to get enough grip to loosen it with a fine pair of pliers, the alluminium should expand quicker than the steel screw so should not take to much heat.

Lee

Heat it up as Kev said. Then if you don't have one, find someone with a table Vice. Clamp the end of the screw in the vice and turn the mounts slowly. This should work as i have done it many times myself.

Stambo

Try a soldering iron, very localized and easy to direct. Let it get really hot before you touch it on the alloy for a while and hopefully a good pair of pliers or small visegrips will get hold of it. Make sure you use something with nice new grips because you will probably get very little chance to get it right.

Westy

LEGEND
if you have a small blow torch something like this....

blow-torch-instructions-800x800.jpg

apply localised heat for about 15 - 20 secs..... and lock it in the vice by the exposed thread..... use a rag to prevent scolding and turn the bearing block anti clockwise.

alternatively you could pre heat the oven to 165ºC and put it in there for 10 mins and repeat the above vise method.

+2 to you will only get one shot at it or the threaded portion exposed will be come damaged and you will not be able to grip it on anything.

Stambo

Yup Westy, I can see that plastic gear melting now. :nana:
Lol I just got an image in my mind of a 450 heli sitting in an oven.

Last edited:

Lambar

:joyous:No frustrations tonight! I will remove the metal bearing holder tomorrow and attempt one of these fixes. Stambo, I will not put the 450 in the oven!

Thank you all for your prompt help. I will report on the result, if positive or negative.

Tony

Staff member
I use a MAP gas torch, heat up the part and try to get ahold of it with some needlenose pliers. If that doesn't work, then grind a slot in it and use a very small flat blade screw driver. But, heat is a must if you have thread locker on it.

Lambar

If I use the torch or the soldering iron (no oven, please), can I leave the metal gear in place without having to disassemble everything? Can some of that heat transfer to the rest of the heli and damage something else?
This is turning into a real novel, but thanks for helping. Rgds, Luiz

Westy

LEGEND
I would take the part out .... and work on it out of the heli! your call ... don't use the blow torch in place ... you will melt the gear.

Top Bottom