Oklahoma Hobby Shop Locations

kfrog

Where Do I go on here to ask about hobby shops and clubs in Oklahoma. I am New to all this and live a 100 miles from nothing. Was hoping to get advice from Tony or others in Oklahoma.

Tony

Staff member
Hey kfrog, I went ahead and moved your post into it's own thread in the Club section. Let us know where you are located in Oklahoma and what you are into (ie. heli, plane, car, boat) and we will get you fixed up.

It's great to have another Okie on here. I know that Matt (Callsign) knows of some hobby shops that I don't know about. But most are going to be in OKC and surrounding areas. I know there is a rather new one in Newcastle.

kfrog

I am located 100 miles south of OKC between Ada & Durant, I am getting into the Heli side now but hope to venture into planes later. I just bought a blade MCX and have been flying around the house.

Tony

Staff member
Ah, you are down there just south of C.L.E.E.T. The place that has cause me so much pain lmao.

Lets get some members on here and see if we can't find you some LHS's around there. Surely there is something down there. If not, BUSINESS IDEA hahaha.

kfrog

I travel to OKC about twice a month so I was wondering about some of the places up there. Also thought about going to the collective place to talk to those guys. I am just trying to get all the info I can before I move up so I do not make the mistakes and bad choices. Where else do people fly in OKC?

Tony

Staff member
I fly in my yard lol. That is where most of my videos are taken. However, this is the last week I will be in this house and i will be getting a new field to fly in. As for actual flying fields, there are a few around here. You have CORCS which is located on the OU campus just off Jenkins and HWY 9, then you have Baxter Field on the west side of Lake Draper, but you MUST fly with a spotter because of the low flying aircraft from Tinker. There is another one up near Lake Hefner and it's Heli only, and I know there is another one up there that has an awesome runway, but it's very expensive to join and there are limited spots. Cant' remember where that is located though.

As for LHS, There is a place on the SW corner of I-240 & Penn that is dedicated to Align helicopters. If you are looking for Blade and E-Flight products, there is a HobbyTownUSA in norman at SW 24th & Main. I know Matt knows of another one. Competition Rc is mainly ground pounders so they won't do us much good. Then as stated, there is one in Newcastle that I think does a LOT of scale stuff as well as a lot of helicopters. But, I have never been there.

john2012

Banned
Welcome aboard kfrog i also started out the same way with a 4 ch and then i bought a mcx2 and use my dx8 spektrum rx. them i bought the 6ch alpha from bb and they screwed me over it. Then got a edf habu2 jet has landing gear and flaps that work and i have two trex 450 a sport and a 450 pro 3gx and love all of them.

kfrog

I have been doing a lot of reading on the net and find the majority of info confusing. I was going to go buy a blade 120sr and dx6i radio this weekend but have decided to wait just to make sure it is the right step.

murankar

Staff member
The 120sr is a great bird if you have the indoor space. If you want to stay indoors I would get the Msr x, the newest one. About the same size as the mcx but handles like the 120sr.

Personally I would get the dx7 or dx8. I like that I can grow into those radios as my skills get better. Plus it saves me from buying one after I out grow the dx6.

Almost all the dx6 folks on here have moved to the 7 or 8 so you might be able to find one for sale at a great price.

Do some homework and ask questions before you buy one. Good luck.

callsign4223

Staff member
Hey there, I'm in OKC. The two that tony already put in here are the only ones worth checking out in the city. There was another good one on the south side of okc, but they have moved more into rail and static models and barely carry any heli parts anymore. The one on i240 and penn has a decent selection of align and eflite parts, but the shop owner is pretty anti social. He acts like it is a major interruption if you ask him any questions, he is definitely not helping the perception of the hobby. He would probably be out of business but there aren't any alternatives.

kfrog

I have read that you can fly the 120 outdoors in light winds. Do you know if that is correct. I am just eager to get something a little bigger than the mcx I have. I have a shop that I thought I could fly it in

Tony

Staff member
Because the 120sr is a fixed pitch helicopter, it will not like anything from 5mph and above. It will become very hard to fly in anything stronger than that. but yes, it can be flown outside.

callsign4223

Staff member
I would say that is a good deal. The dx8 alone is $400 new. That looks to be an older model trex, but it looks in good shape from the pictures. Of course, without getting hands on it I couldn't say for sure what kind of condition it's in.

murankar

Staff member
I was able to, to some degree. Once the winds started I had to pack up for the day. At that point I was ready to just give up but instead went bigger. The perfect place top fly a 120sr is in a Gym, 0 to very little air disturbances plus you will have plenty of real estate in the air to fly.

kfrog

Some guys at a club in Okc suggested I should just move up to the size I like and not do the steps. I am considering an align 550e dsc and a futaba radio. Reckon it will run around 1100, but that may be the least exspensive way in the long run.

murankar

Staff member
Then you better get realflight 6. Or this hobby will break your wallet. If not a sim then at the very least a 130x, mcpx or nano. All of these birds bind to Specktrum.

Also ensure you buy lots of spare parts.

Top Bottom