Motors Oiling bearings

zenmetsu

Out of curiosity, how do you reach the lower bearing on a Scorpion 2206-3900?? These have a flat bottom with cooling holes, but there is no sign of the bearing. I cannot find information online as to how to do this. Do you have to dismantle the motor??

- - - Updated - - -

There is a round block that extends below the flat base that has two set screws. I am thinking that these need to be removed to access the bearings. Surprisingly I cannot find information even on Scorpion's site o_O

Tony

Staff member
You will remove the motor, then remove the pinion. YOu may have to remove a grub screw but the motor case will slip off the armature giving you access to the bearings

zenmetsu

Ugh... I was hoping to not have to do a complete teardown for maintenance purposes. Oh well. I'll have to do this every 30 flights then... any more frequently and I will probably lose my wits.

Tony

Staff member
IT's not really that bad. The worst part about it is getting the gear mesh back where it's supposed to be.

zenmetsu

That's easy. Add loctite, partially tighten screws, ram pinion against main gear, lightly tap motor back a few times... wiggle main gear while holding motor still to see if there is a little play, if not, repeat tapping and wiggling until satisfied... tighten screws.

CAKE!

murankar

Staff member
The best way is to remove the c clip, then lift out the center. There is a washer at the end of the shaft that is a royal pain to put back. There should be no need to remove the shaft for that task, unless working with c clips are not your thing.

zenmetsu

Great.. jesus clips...

I guess I can go that route. The hassle is getting to the motor on the 250. If I remove the front two screws on the battery tray, it will swing upwards and out of the way. Then I have to remove the 6 screws that hold the motor mount and then slide it out the front of the frame. Kinda a pain in the butt for general maintenance. :(

Top Bottom