Micro OH, YEAH! You bet it's me again! My mCPX BL at spool up...anybody seen this before?!

Okay, she shakes "like a leaf" and won't spool up until about quarter stick?:secret2:

Nope, don't say it...I know what you're thinking!

Please don't say it's the board...

Thank you for your time to read my post and hopefully replying with a solution!?

[video=youtube_share;-gKPlrrTeKA]http://youtu.be/-gKPlrrTeKA[/video]

cml001

Re: OH, YEAH! You bet it's me again! My mCPX BL at spool up...anybody seen this befo

Ok so 1st the 120sr did this and now ur mcpx.. This issue has got to be either transmitter set up or damage... What transmitter do u have? How old? Ever dropped it? What are ur throttle settings?... The problem has to be the transmitter.. Somewhere!

EyeStation

Re: OH, YEAH! You bet it's me again! My mCPX BL at spool up...anybody seen this befo

How tight is that gear mesh? Can you spin the head freely without power?
The shakes look and sound like motor cogging, which usually will occur if the motor wires are compromised in some way for a brushless motor. A bad solder joint at the board motor connection, or a broken/intermittent wire within the insulation. Once the head gets up to a speed to overcome that cogging, it looks like is spins up fine.
A brushed motor will do the same with a bad connection, but usually will not get into a full spin up due to the higher resistance.

When it is spinning at speed, let it run for a bit and feel for heat on the motor and on the board. a large amount of heat will point to the bad component, either motor windings, connectors or semiconductors.
The connections on the board and inline with the motor should never even raise in temperature.

Last edited:

I have a 4 month old DX6i in pristine shape...never dropped, bumped or shaken! (I use a neck strap) Settings are just what the manual called for a DX6i. It was great, no questions! Throttle= 0%, 40%, 60%, 80% and 100%. Transmitter's working fine with my SR, my Sim (Phoenix) and my 120SR (with new board!)...

Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

How tight is that gear mesh? Can you spin the head freely without power?Mesh is good...spins very easily, without power!
The shakes look and sound like motor cogging, which usually will occur if the motor wires are compromised in some way for a brushless motor. A bad solder joint at the board motor connection, or a broken/intermittent wire within the insulation. Once the head gets up to a speed to overcome that cogging, it looks like is spins up fine.Board connection is a quarter inch away from the motor and looks fine as well as the solder points on the opposite side of the board...
A brushed motor will do the same with a bad connection, but usually will not get into a full spin up due to the higher resistance.

When it is spinning at speed, let it run for a bit and feel for heat on the motor and on the board. a large amount of heat will point to the bad component, either motor windings, connectors or semiconductors.Will do!
The connections on the board and inline with the motor should never even raise in temperature.

Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

How tight is that gear mesh? Can you spin the head freely without power?
The shakes look and sound like motor cogging, which usually will occur if the motor wires are compromised in some way for a brushless motor. A bad solder joint at the board motor connection, or a broken/intermittent wire within the insulation. Once the head gets up to a speed to overcome that cogging, it looks like is spins up fine.

When it is spinning at speed, let it run for a bit and feel for heat on the motor and on the board. a large amount of heat will point to the bad component, either motor windings, connectors or semiconductors.
As best I could tell, as the motor is encircled by two servos, main shaft and board, the heat was minimal...couldn't spool it for very long (it's taking to mid stick or better to spin now?) and I just got nipped by the blades on the wrist! OUCH, it's hard to hold this little "beast, with large hands!" I'm thinking a trip back to HobbyTown where I bought this beast is in order?

Thanks, again...

Update: Okay, I took my mCPX BL up to HobbyTown USA (where I bought it). It did the exact same thing for Nick (the HT "heli-guy") which confirmed I wasn't crazy...After several attempts to find the problem, he finally removed the main shaft and gear, switched the heli back on and it did the same wacky thing at low throttle! He then got it to spool up and just let it run at full speed for 30 seconds.
After he stopped and started again, it didn't do it anymore! Could there have been something that got inside the motor and we blew it out? I have no clue...he hovered it in the store with no further signs of the problem! Thank you, Nick!

And thank you to the guys that responded as soon as I asked for help!

Tony

Staff member

Could have been a bit of dust in the bearings, could have been a hair wrapped in the shaft or around the stator. Just glad you got it going again.

cml001

Freak'n weird that it happened to two different birds within what.. A week of one another.. What are the chances.. Glad the problem is solved. Sorry to have steered u in the wrong direction.

Absolutely no problem, cml001!
It WAS VERY WEIRD...And weird requires any and all solutions that may comes to mind. Who knows what the answer is going to be? Because of what you said, I made sure that my DX6i WAS working properly and therefore eliminated it from the problem list!

Thank you again for your fast response!

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
It definitely seems like the motor had something messing with the magnetic field .. Some of us with first version motor on a bird called warp 360 had a similar issue. In that motor the magnets were breaking internally... I know mcpx BL isn't known for that. So loose solder on motor , esc ... Something inside the motor ...

Actually my align 150 did this when one of my motor windings wasn't getting its signals from the esc.. Definitely not your radio.

Glad it's fixed.. If it happens again just know it's the bird side

Wow...thanks so much for your input!
I just hope it stays "fixed"...my greatest fear is that if it is an electronic problem like the ESC or even something inside the motor, it's more than likely going to show up again! This is the second mCPX BL I've gotten from HobbyTown, as the first one was determined to have a "board issue", so they swapped it out with a brand new one! I've bought five heli's there, so it wasn't a problem...
I just hope my luck holds out!

Hey, aren't you the one that's selling a Warp 360 and tons of parts? What a beautiful bird! You should have no trouble finding a taker on that deal!

All the best..."fly it like you stole it!"

Wow...thanks so much for your input!
I just hope it stays "fixed"...my greatest fear is that if it is an electronic problem like the ESC or even something inside the motor, it's more than likely going to show up again! This is the second mCPX BL I've gotten from HobbyTown, as the first one was determined to have a "board issue", so they swapped it out with a brand new one! I've bought five heli's there, so it wasn't a problem...
I just hope my luck holds out!

Hey, aren't you the one that's selling a Warp 360 and tons of parts? What a beautiful bird! You should have no trouble finding a taker on that deal!

All the best..."fly it like you stole it!"

"UPDATE"

Well my luck ran out and I think my worst fear (about it being an electronic issue) came true...Took it out Friday afternoon for the first flight since "repair" and the same thing happened! And, it was so out of control when the throttle kicked on (Jumped around like a just landed fish) it broke off the rear landing skid mount inside the frame! Took it back to HT yesterday, but my heli-guy won't be in until tomorrow...Going to swap out for a new one or get my money back! I am SO disappointed and over it!

Tony

Staff member

That sucks Terry. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

"UPDATE" #2
The Virginia Beach HobbyTown USA 's new manager (who's also the owner!) wouldn't go for a return/exchange on my mCPX BL, which is less than a month old!

So, I shipped it off to Horizon Hobby today and we'll see what they come up with! It was so nice to be able to link for them the YouTube video I made at y'alls request!
Shows the problem so very clear! A video is worth a zillion words! Thank you Rc-Helpers!

Tony

Staff member

I try not to deal with hobbytown. Everytime I have to I die a little inside. They have to be the worst business in the hobby. He could have offered to send the helicopter to Horizon for you at least. Okay, I will stop here because I had to deal with mine today and I could rant a whole page right now lmao.

Hey Bro, I'm really with you on that! And normally, I try to "give the benefit of the doubt"..."and take the high road"...and "if you can't say nothin' nice, don't say nothin' at all"! But you are so right, I've bought five (5) friggin' helicopters from the "SOB" and he didn't even offer to ship this "defective" one back to Horizon!

I think I may be done...stick a fork in me!

Thanks for the support!

murankar

Staff member

Hobby Town is a hit or miss bricks store. The employees are the struggle. My Hobby Town is limited by brands they offer. Not that Align and Blade are not good I just want more selection. I have noticed that they dabble in to many hobbies so they can be a one stop shop. I have been lucky with my local Hobby town.

cml001

Wow.. Our hobbytown here is awesome! Dave, the owner is great as is his employees.. Who fly themselves so it's easy to get expierienced direction. They are all about horizon.. Carry no align in stock but can order whatcha need.. The place at a glance looks like madness.. Disorganized to the untrained eye... Even got a bad review(can't remember where I read it) about the MASS of inventory.. But.. If u don't see it ask, they will walk u straight to it w out having to look it up on a computer(9 times outta 10).. I love our hobbytown... I can just hang out even if I'm not buy'n anything and have a good time. It's a crack house.. Every kids dream of a candy store.. Just awesome! Sorry ur still having issues bud.

OMG, I wish my HobbyTown carried ALIGN! I could deal with the HT people then I think...no problem. The product would be so far superior, well engineered and dependable, based on what Align owners have relayed to me and what I've read. I don't own one...yet!

Don't get me wrong, Blade helis aren't bad if you get a "good" one that's been thoroughly tested and flown. They produce such a volume, something has to "slip through the cracks!". I own five of them and they've all been purchased from HobbyTown. I've also purchased a "ton" of parts from them too, which is a must if you're gonna fly helis!

The mCPX BL may be the last Blade that I purchased...we'll see what Horizon Hobby comes up with?

Thanks for relaying your experience!

cml001

Go bigger.. More cash to get in.. But seems to be more robust... Barring a crash of course.. Seem to wear out less.. I kno I have more in my 130x than I do my 450... Easy... However... I smack the hell outta these little micro birds and they do take some punishment... U can crash and continue to fly most of the time.. Ur not gonna crash a 450 or bigger and continue... I don't kno.. Sorry ur having issues.. Spent matter how much u pay.. It should work if buy it.

Top Bottom