Micro Official Rc-Help Trex 150 Thread

Tony

Staff member
As you may have watched in the article that I put up earlier, Rc-Help now has it's very own Align T-Rex 150 DFC thanks to NEXRC HOBBY! The helicopter that i have is the first version with the plastic arms and swash, but I assure you, it will not stay that way for long. If you have not watched the video, you can see it by clicking the link below.

Rc-Help - Align 150DFC From NexRc.com

At this time, I have plans on doing a blade comparison video between the black/white Align blades, Orange/white Align blades and the 3D and weighted MicroHeli blades of different colors. I'm also going to do, at the same time, the 42mm and 47mm tail blades.

The only issue that I know for a fact that is an issue is the reverse flight tail stability. I will be trying to hone my skills in my reverse flight so that I can properly test this issue. Then we will see if the stock Align, 42mm microheli or 47mm tail blades will solve the issue.

If you have any other videos that you would like to see, please post them in this thread, or in the article I posted above.

Derek

That's sweet!!! I'm thinking I want one! I didn't know that the Align 150 had brushless on both motors. Cool!!!

Tony

Staff member
Well guys, this thread is old but it's time to bring it back. Thanks once again to Kevin over at NexRc for sending me this awesome helicopter.

I'm sure you all have seen the video where I slammed this thing into the side of my house, completely destroying the helicopter. Well, I think it took out the gyro with it. We are going to find out. I'm charging two batteries right now and I'm going to see if I can get this thing tamed down. Before, it was all over the place and just very unstable. Could be due to lack of flying though. But we are going to find out.

This helicopter has just about every MicroHeli upgrade you can think of on it, and I have a LOT of spares for it. I wanted to upgrade the motors, but decided not to. The Align parts that are left on it I saw no reason to replace as they are good parts.

I will be updating this thread with some video if my camera will actually record...

Smoggie

Tony,

I hope you have better luck with the Trex 150 than i had. Mine was a total nightmare to be honest. Not only was it tricky to fly but it was also very fragile and incredibly difficult to work on. The final straw for me was the MRS main control board packed up (very common fault) and the cost of a new one made it uneconomic to repair.

Anyway, good luck with yours, I hope the MRS board is ok.

Tony

Staff member
Mine was one of the first production runs. Plastic swash and links. The thing flew fantastic for me all the way up until smashing it into my house at an incredible rate of speed lmao. Below I have the video I was shooting when I crashed (start at 6:05 if you just want to get straight to the crash or watch it all the way through to see me putting the swash and DFC links on from MicroHeli). I have also included the video with slow-mo of just the crash.

Just got done flying. I will upload that video here soon.

Full Video
Align 150 DFC MicroHeli Swash & Link Upgrade From NexRc - YouTube

Slow-Mo video
Align 150DFC Crash HARD!!! - YouTube

And here is the video of it being rebuilt and the flight afterwards.
Align 150 DFC Rebuild After HARD CRASH - YouTube

Smoggie

Interesting to see that I was not the only one who had take a dremel to the head to get the feathering shaft bolts out! In my case the slot didn't work so i had to cut the grip in half. This is a good example of what i was saying about it being a nightmare to work on!

Good to see it flying fine post crash.

Tony

Staff member
You and I both. I just finished editing the video and it's rendering now. I will upload it here soon nad post it in here. Nothing spectacular. I did screw up and left my mobius set on wide though. Wide + Micro Helicopter = can't see a damn thing lmao. But you can see it a little.

Tony

Staff member
Well that was a lot of fun. Below you will find the video of me flying the helicopter. Again, it's a little long with having to do some setup changes and got a little distracted after crashing the helicopter... Not the best way to end a flight session lmao. Let me know what you think.

Align 150 DFC Flying DX9 - YouTube

murankar

Staff member
At least you got some time out he air with those blue skies. The skies here are blue but not that blue. More of a washed out blue. Lol. Go get some more. Flights in.

Tony

Staff member
I wish I could, but winds are back up today. The little 150 would not stand a chance out there lol.

Dirk

Well, I pulled the trigger on a new Rex 150 yeaterday! I wil hopefully have it in my grubby little paws on Monday. It is the Combo kit in the plastic carry case.

While I was at it, I got a whole lot of spares as well, just in case I fly into the side of my house!! :)hdbng: - Tony?? LOL! )

Got two spare batteries as well.

Come on Monday!!

Smoggie

Tony, she seems to be flying nice.
My Trex 150 has the Microheli frame too but the MRS board packed up shortly after fitting the new frame so it's never seen any action since. Rather than throwing more money at the Trex I ended up picking up a Hobbyking 'Assault 100' (which is just an Hisky HCP100S under different name). It's the same size and almost identical spec to the Trex 150 (dual brushless, takes DSMX satellite etc). It's actually more powerful than the Trex and easier to work on. I picked it up in a Hobbyking sale for about half the price of what a replacement MRS board for the Trex 150 would have cost me!

Flying opportunities have been limited due to the terrible weather we are having here (seems common everywhere).. If it's not howling with wind it's raining or snowing, or all three!

Tony

Staff member
Well, I pulled the trigger on a new Rex 150 yeaterday! I wil hopefully have it in my grubby little paws on Monday. It is the Combo kit in the plastic carry case.

While I was at it, I got a whole lot of spares as well, just in case I fly into the side of my house!! :)hdbng: - Tony?? LOL! )

Got two spare batteries as well.

Come on Monday!!

Congrats Dirk. Get ready for it, these little things are monsters. Lots of power, just respect it. And hey, that whole house thing only happened once... lmao.

I think I have 6 batteries for mine. Two Align and 4 MicroHeli. Get the MicroHeli. They are larger in capacity and discharge rate. And last a few seconds longer. If yours doesn't have the metal swash or DFC links, get them. Must have upgrades. Also, if you plan on keeping the plastic frame, check the back where the tail goes in and see if it twists like mine did. I heard they upgraded that, but not positive.

And post up pictures and videos of this bird when you get it! I wish I had the case for mine. I just tuck mine under the 450 Pro in it's case lol. Or, I put the 150 in it's original box.

Tony, she seems to be flying nice.
My Trex 150 has the Microheli frame too but the MRS board packed up shortly after fitting the new frame so it's never seen any action since. Rather than throwing more money at the Trex I ended up picking up a Hobbyking 'Assault 100' (which is just an Hisky HCP100S under different name). It's the same size and almost identical spec to the Trex 150 (dual brushless, takes DSMX satellite etc). It's actually more powerful than the Trex and easier to work on. I picked it up in a Hobbyking sale for about half the price of what a replacement MRS board for the Trex 150 would have cost me!

Flying opportunities have been limited due to the terrible weather we are having here (seems common everywhere).. If it's not howling with wind it's raining or snowing, or all three!

That really sucks about your board. I was sure that slamming directly into my house would kill mine, but it just keeps going. Sucks that you had all those issues. And you need to quit talking about snow. It's April, we don't get snow here in april lol.

Dirk

Man! This 150 is like a hummingbird on Crack! Being used to my 700's, this thing is wild!
It is going to take some time to tame this little beast.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Oh yea, these things have a very high head speed and sound nothing like a 550+ bird lmao. And they will get away from you in a hurry.

Where's the video?

leedude1

Hey Dirk, yeah love these little birds as well. I have 2 and the boards appear to be a hit / miss thing.. I fried one just plugging in a battery to initialize... I've gone through 2 on one of the them and the other is still original...they fly great but as you found out are quick as hell, but lots of fun.
I call mine the dragonfly killer because 9 out of 10 times at the field if I stop after buzzing around a awhile and hover or do some slow piros a dragon fly will come up and get "magic bulleted" not sure if a territorial thing, but its funny as hell sounds like the bug zapper in the yard :sadwavey: bye bye dragon fly bzzzt next.. anyway enjoy sir they are a blast.

I decided to keep the second one for parts and not invest in another board ( for now) but will absolutely need to keep at least one flying they are too much fun.

Dirk

Oh yeah, got away from me! Joined the "let's see if we can hit that house" club. Had to replace main shaft and feathering shaft.

I think I'll fly it in a bigger open space next time.

I'll get someone to shoot a video next time.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, these little guys are wicked fast for their size lol. At least you didn't have to replace the main shaft, feathering shaft, bearings, blades, canopy, FRAME, tail boom and something else lol.

leedude1

Man Tony that sounds like my 180 adventure, Im still trying to find the bobbing culprit, but IM changing everything but the kitchen sink... I got a set of bearing blocks up on you :biggrin1:

My worst 150 tragedy was the parking lot header man I still cringe when I think of it.. I think we like this hobby too much when we do these things and talk about them like badges LOL

Last edited:
Top Bottom