No Rest For The Wicked

Tony

Staff member
So last night my brother in law stopped by with the new parts to his motorcycle that was in my garage. His clutch went out thanks to the previous owner never adjusting it. Just let it slip. But he was here, and we were going to get the bike put back together.

We were sitting at the kitchen table talking about the bike and I asked if he had brought the old clutch pack with him because I wanted to see the difference old to new. He slammed his fist on the table, shouted some expletives and said the old clutch pack was on the table, at his house, 2 hours away. It wasn't the clutches we needed, it was the pressure plate that holds everything together! So he calls his wife and asks if she will bring the bag out because the truck he was driving gets horrible mpg. She says she has some things to do first, then she will be on her way.

That is when we decide a beer run is in order. So head to the store, pick up said beer, then get hung up in the parking lot for almost an hour. So for the better part of an hour we were waiting on a text to my phone saying that his wife was on her way. When we are leaving the store I get the text that she is on her way, bout' time!

We get back to the house, crack a couple cold ones and start doing the usual BS'ing. A while later, we get a call from his wife saying that she is too tired to drive and needed us to come to her. First off, if you are too tired to drive, DON'T DRIVE! I drive (or used to) for a living and losing your life because you want to push it is not a good idea. So she says she is in a town that is only about 45 minutes from my house. But then there is the kicker, she doesn't want either of us driving because we each had one beer.

We decide that when my wife gets off work, she will take him to his wife and get the parts. My wife gets home, learns of the plan and they head out. This was about 2330 last night. Well, somewhere around 0145 I call her and ask if they got lost. Come to find out she was not in the town she thought she was in, she was about 20 miles from there. Once they got to her he decided to just drive her home and my wife would follow and bring him back here. Awesome.

I told my wife that I would be useless by the time they get back (they had just arrived at his house) and that we might as well just load up the bike so he can take it back and put the parts on at his house. So, I fire up netflix and start doing some relaxin'.

They get here and I know that I don't want him to have to do this alone so we head out to the garage where it is about 28ºF and no heat. That was awesome... We start putting the bike back together, get the new clutch plates and steels installed in the cage, torqued down and we are ready for the cover. Time to pull out the razor blades and clean off that old gasket material from the cover.

It takes us a while to clean that cover and once we are done (ended up going inside where it was warm to do most of it) we put it in my parts washer and had that thing looking great. Finally got it installed back on the bike and everything torqued down and it was time to put the new oil filter on it and add the oil. DONE! Now it was time to fill the radiator back up. The antifreeze I took out of it was a beautiful green color, what it is supposed to be. I crack a bottle of the yamalube coolant and start pouring it in and we are now filling the bike with Smurf's blood, IT WAS FRIGGIN BLUE! I have never in my life seen blue coolant.

We fire up the bike and wait for the fan to kick on which takes way more time than I thought since it was so cold. But the fan kicks on, I top off the coolant and seal it up and we decide to put it on the trailer so he can take it home. By this time, the sun was already coming up which is good because it will heat things up lol. But we head back inside, do some chattin' then I tell him that I'm about ot die and I head to bed. I think I finally got to sleep somewhere around 0900 this morning then turned around and got up thanks to my phone going ballistic with emails and messages around noon.

And here we are 3 hours later and I get to go all day like this. I guess it's true, there is no rest for the W1ck3d, which is my username on some sites... It's going to be a very long day...

Top Bottom