No More Local Hobby Shop for me

Derek

I'll try to keep this "summed-up" but I was really bitter about what happened yesterday.

*a quick refresh about me*
I'm 36 years old, did well in high school, few years in college, just got into rc flying in October 2011, bought a Trex 500 in Feb 2012, been doing scratch-build planes since May/June 2012, and I love to tinker around in the garage.

Ok, I had gone to the hobby shop yesterday, looking for some parts...just like most of my "off-work" days. The usual 3 employees were there. I walked in and the one guys asks, "Whatchya lookin for today?" I said that I was lookin for a brushless motor and some odd-ball parts. He goes with me to where the motors are and we start talkin about a project that I have in mind and he pretty much tells me that I can't do it. As in, I'm not good enough do handle such a project. Really??? As I start to explain a few other details, a friend of his comes in the store and jumps right into our conversation and the two of them walk off together and start working on the employees' 700 Nitro. As impressive as the 700 Nitro is, I was there first, I had money to spend, but the employee just walked off. I was getting "miffed." A few minutes later, as my patience is wearing thin, the employee comes back to me and tells me that there are some new motors that are coming in on Friday....maybe I'd want to look at them when they come in. I asked him if there was a particular size coming in.....his friend shouts out a question from across the store and the employee walks off to his friend and they start "chatting it up again." I could not believe this. I have spent hundreds of dollars in that store over the past few months....and he just walks off.

I am quite sure that the hobby store will do just fine without my, individual, business.....but I can assure you that I'm done with that store. This is not the first time this kind of thing has happened. Do I have a sign on me that reads, "Don't mind me, I like being ignored?" No!!! I sure don't.

The really bad thing is this....there are NO other rc aircraft part stores in town, so it looks like I'll be ordering my stuff from the internet.

stokke

That sucks man. If it's anything like over here, the parts are cheaper online and the shipping time isn't all that bad.

Tony

Staff member
Sadly this sort of thing is happening more and more. I have seen it in my own LHS. There was one time I had a guy pull a bunch of parts for me, over $200 worth, then he just took off to help one of his friends that needed an end soldered on, for free. I left a note that stated he just missed out on this sale for poor customer service and walked out. Sometimes I'm amazed at some people wondering why their business is crumbling.

Adam

my lhs doesn't even carry align products all blade but I do go in there to check on the 130x I want lol

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Now I haven't had that kind of treatment from my lhs! I walk in there and unless they are extremely bussy, one of the employees or owner come right up to me and takes care of me well! Lol. Weather it's for my t Rex spartan heli or any plane I'm working on. Any advice I need or question about something. It's allways answered with respect.

murankar

Staff member
My College math teacher works at my lhs. He is a train guy but he still takes the time to help me out if he can. Of course that was right after I got my 120sr. now that I have my 450 he may not be able to help. My LHS is a Hobby Town USA and it seems to be the local hang out right be hind the local fly filed where ever that is. Every summer they also do a road course competition with all the amateurs. They recently reduced there square footage due to rent issues so I hope they are still around when I get back. 14 days and I will be back.

hal9000

You know I do fear for the lhs. On the one hand the Internet has exposed them to competitive pricing, both from Asian low labour cost suppliers and margin cutting "out of back room or garage" suppliers

On the other hand consumer are now exposed to a wider range to choose from, and not limited to what the lhs deigns to make available.

I wander into any hobby shop I pass just to see what's what. Today I stepped into what was really a static model shop for diorama makers and model train enthusiasts. They had a few awful looking RC planes and toy helis. Was in and out in 2 min.

My lhs to whom I go to when I really want something in a hurry. I paid $NZD12 for 5 servo connectors, which I could get from HobbyKing for $1 (actually about $NZD2 for 10 plus shipping.) $11 premium for convenience!

Back to choice. 25 years ago the only source for model gear was what the lhs had or if you were lucky, mail orders. My grandfather had a thriving business shipping stuff from "tax free" Norfolk Island to Australia and New Zealand in the late 70s and early 80s. He was able to undercut lhs even with shipping at the time sales tax and import duties made the lhs the domain of relatively wealthy enthusiast.

I look at what the lhs has for sale. Large areas dedicated to balsa and oily planes and a tiny corner dedicated to foamies and electrics. Sweet FA choice of lipos, and those they do have are 3 or more times the price I can get from HobbyKing, including shipping. What's worse they are the same brand!

I have spent about $400-500 getting kitted out to a point where I am ready to fly. This includes an AXN, Turnigy 9x with mods, batteries, charger and other bits and pieces. Chump change to the equivalent at the lhs where my tx choices are Specktrum or Futaba or JR and some gas powered front engined balsa trainer.

This segue-ways in to another area of concern I share with others.

There is a shift in the RC world from oily wooden planes to electrics with FPV, GPS, RTL, 3D and so on. I hope the old fogies who run lhs, local clubs and national associations are familiar with the adage "Adapt, or die" because they are rapidly becoming as irrelevant as dinosaurs.

I feel no desire to join MFNZ because everything I have read about or written by them might as well have been written 20 years ago. They do not seem to have grasped the concept of park flyers for a start. They seem to think that all FPV craft must be flown with in the confines of a club field, with buddy boxes compulsory. Huh! Seriously! (cue Jeff Dunham and Peanut) Neeeoowwww!

Now my ultimate aim in this hobby is to have a UAV style craft, be that predator or multirotor and combo waypoint and FPV with RTL etc. Sure as hell not going to get any of the kit required from lhs! And MFNZ rules don't even begin to cover such craft other than "in sight" rules. But I am not a member so what can they do about it!

flysolo

There is a shift in the RC world from oily wooden planes to electrics with FPV, GPS, RTL, 3D and so on. I hope the old fogies who run lhs, local clubs and national associations are familiar with the adage "Adapt, or die" because they are rapidly becoming as irrelevant as dinosaurs.

I went in to a really classic hobby shop in Stockholm yesterday. they have been around since 1940 and practically introduced rc in sweden. I really understand what you mean, it was more like a museum than a shop where you want to buy something. Actually I bought Hudy one-way bearing oil while I was there but thats not really the point and I was surprised to even find something like that in there.

My local hobby store that I like gets as much business he wants(he just have to keep stuff in stock), if they are out I always buy from Amain if I don't mind the wait because of the prices and free shipping, or from fast-lad if I need the stuff right away.

- Niklas

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry about the bad quote, is there a way to edit posts in this forum?

Tony

Staff member
There is a way to edit your posts, but only after you get 50+ posts (I think, it may be 100). I fixed the botched quote though.

Gulf Coast Ace

As a small business, "if you ain't got service...you ain't got nutin'." Sadly this is happening more and more and the reason why big box and Internet stores are taking over. It's almost gotten to the point where shopping for stuff over the web is easier and more pain-free (granted I haven't ordered much rc stuff). It always kills me how when I try to shop local, I usually get burned. Don't even get me started about my last experience with the local lumber yard looking for cypress...c'mon man!

O.P.
I feel your pain, vote with your dollars and your feet! Small business owners, TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS OR BUSINESS WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU!

-I'm out-

stokke

I visited all three LHS this last weekend.
I was looking for; medium Thread Lock, one female JST plug, one 4mm hex driver.

One of the stores had closed for a week (wtf?)
One had nothing of the above.
And one had the JST, but not the other two items...

LHS can't compare to web shopping as long as they don't have anything in stock!

Got some good advice regarding my JR build from one of them though.

Top Bottom